Thread: land, sleep, car, home?

Default land, sleep, car, home?

This may be a little obvious and not really sure what answers im looking for here just wanted to see how other people had gone about it.

Planning to fly into Auckland and stay in a cheap hotel for about a week (maybe less, not sure). Need a place to live (one bedroom apartment east Tamaki way) so was thinking about acquiring a vehicle first.

Had a look on trademe and there dosent seem to be a huge amount of cars (used) going on there around the Auckland area. Does anyone know if there are used car places dotted around? Dont really want to spend loads of time messing about viewing cars all over the place if i gotta use public transport. Just looking for a low cost banger is type thing (I realize they are twice the price than in the UK)

Then the plan is that once Im mobile i can get around and view residences about the place.

Good plan?

Dave

Hi Dave

There are lots of used car dealers in Panmure (mt Wellington) just off the Panmure roundabout or along Great South Road near Newmarket.

I'm sure there are other clusters, but these are the ones I know about.

There are alot of home shops around Mt Wellington too if you need to buy household goods too. Sylvia park is the main shopping mall, but there are a lot of retail estates too.

Hope this helps.

If you are relocating to NZ with a job offer, have you asked your company if they will pay for a hotel/motel for first couple of weeks? I was put up in a motel for the first 2 weeks. No harm in asking.

I then rented a cheap car to get me around so I had 2 weeks to buy the car and find myself a rental.

The company have given me a relocation allowance which should cover my flights and at least a week in a hotel. Should be able to get things sorted within a week if Im not due to start work that week

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

We landed Sunday.
    Had booked into central motel for 4 nights then a furnished holiday home in the country for a month ( both booked from UK)

On Mon sorted bank and phones
    On Tues bought car and got contents and car insurance sorted
    On Wed we collected Car
    On Thurs moved to the country
    Then spent a week driving around areas before choosing an area and rental about two weeks after we landed to move in two weeks later...

It worked beautifully for us.