Thread: Special Direction???

Default Special Direction???

Hi,Im new to this forum.I have just been offered a role in a feature film that will be getting filmed in Auckland later this year and for my role i will need to go over there for 2 weeks, I have been advised i need to apply for Special direction as back in 2004 i served 4 months in jail (it was 3 x 3yr sentences run concurrently and suspended after the 4 months in jail (Charges were 2x attempted fraud and 1x arson :/).I had been in a seriously bad and controlling relationship at the time and got pretty messed up after a late term miscarriage and resulting post natal depression.I also had 1 more mistake about 6 months after i was released,but it took a couple years to go to court but i just got parole for that.I did meet my now partner just after that last mistake and have been on my best behaviour since. I am stressing big time that the special direction will be refused.I will be applying for it in next few weeks after i receive the certificate i need to get from the poilce.Any advice anyone could suggest before i apply for my special direction would be greatly appreciated.

All you can do is apologize deeply, and very fully explain all the circumstances which led to the crimes you were convicted of, with evidence from other people if possible. You then stress how you now understand how wrong you were, and how much you have changed, again with letters of support. These letters should be from people who know you now, but, if possible, are somehow people in the community, such as a doctor, a lawyer, your children's head teacher (if any), not just e.g. your good friends or family members.

I'm afraid getting Special Direction is not a foregone conclusion. All you can do is ask.

Agree with JandM. I would also advise that you make it clear your take responsibilitiy for your own actions, and how you've learned from that. You probably didn't intend it to sound like it when you wrote your post, but the words you've used came across to me as someone who has little self direction/determination (so it was a bad man who got you into trouble and a good man (or woman!) that got you out of it ) If you come across too strongly as it all being someone/something elses fault, how could anyone be sure you wouldn't react in the same way again.

Sorry if this seems harsh, it is intended to be helpful

Redvee I get what you are saying I'm just not great putting stuff into words sometimes.best description I can say was I used to be a weak person but after leaving that bad relationship I have become a lot stronger person and since then had to deal with major stresses that I couldn't have dealt with in a good way years ago.I have also emailed a couple mp's for advice too.i am feeling more positive about it all today. I was also told by embassy that as it was only 4 months I was in that I have a good chance of special direction being granted