Thread: Changing tourist visa to working visa

Default Changing tourist visa to working visa

Hello,

I'm starting work as a doctor in a new zealand hospital, I have accepted and job offer and they are processing my medical council registration (which should go through with no problems) but is taking a while, and is meaning I am running out of time to get my work visa.
    I was thinking of applying for a tourist visa, and then changing that to a working visa as soon as I get to NZ. I will have all the needed documentation.
    Does anyone know how easy this is? And whether this is the best course of action? Or, least favourable option, to delay my flight?

Many thanks for any help.

There are positives and negatives here.

You may not actually need to apply for a visitor visa, if you're a national of a visa waiver country (which I'm guessing you may be as you're currently in the UK). http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...eCountries.htm If this applies to you, you simply fill in a form on the aeroplane as it approaches NZ.

You certainly can apply for, and obtain, a work visa from within NZ.

On the other hand, entering as a visitor, you are assumed to be going to leave again, you need a return or onward ticket, and you don't get an immigrant's concessions if your belongings arrive before you get your longer term visa.