Thread: Applying for Partnership Visa

Red face Applying for Partnership Visa

hi.. I just joined the forum.. but I've been around reading peoples queries..

I decided to join to ask people to help me.. please..

Me and my partner are thinking of applying for the partnership visa.. Im a permanent resident here and he is in Singapore working.. we have been physically apart for more than 2 years, we have been in the relationship for almost 7 years..
    can you guys help me prepare?

can anyone share their experience with applying for the partnership visa..

Im just lost and overwhelmed with all the paper works that needs to be done..

thank you guys..

Which 'partnership visa' are you talking about?

There's the possibility of applying for Residence as someone's partner. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...er/default.htm

And there's a partner-sponsored temporary work visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

Although your partner is working away, has he been back, or have you been to see him, for any time during his two years in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Which 'partnership visa' are you talking about?

There's the possibility of applying for Residence as someone's partner. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...er/default.htm

And there's a partner-sponsored temporary work visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

Although your partner is working away, has he been back, or have you been to see him, for any time during his two years in Singapore?

We have not seen each other physically for 2 years.. we just chat in skype or in facebook.. but we are planning to see each other this year.. will this be a problem for our application?
    Im not really sure what partnership visa.. maybe the fastest way he can come here in New Zealand with me?

Thank you for replying..

I have a few more Questions:

1. Who will file the application for visa? Me- PR of NZ or my partner who is in Singapore?

2. where should my partner get a Police clearance? from Singapore where he works for almost 3 years or in our home country were we are citizens? we are both from Philippines.

3. can my partner get a work visa under partnership w/ job offer?

thank you guys..
    Last edited by amayjune; 17th January 2013 at 08:02 PM.

I think, from the further information you have now given, you are going to have to go for the partner-sponsored work visa - see the second link I gave you above. That page, and the links off it, tell you all the detail about what forms, etc.. Your question 1 - he applies, and you fill in the form in support of the application.

BUT you are going to need to spend some time living together before you are going to be eligible to apply for any visa linked with partnership. You have to be able to show a live-in relationship in the immediate past, ongoing at the time the application goes in. (Do a Search on the forum for Partnership Proof.) It may be he will need to get a visitor visa to get to NZ, then you set up home together and start to build up proof that you are living together. Once you have a few weeks' evidence, you can put in the application.

2. Both, and maybe other places as well. See on the INZ website about police checks. http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...rtificates.htm

3. If he applies for any kind of visa under partnership, his work record, qualifications, etc., are totally irrelevant - ALL that has to be provided is character, health, and proof of your partnership. The partner-sponsored temporary work visa is an open work visa, which would entitle him to take any job offered him.

If, on the other hand, your partner has a skilled job offer from within NZ, it might entitle him to get a work visa in his own right, without depending on your partnership. He would need to check out the requirements for this kind of visa. See here and links off that page http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/. (Getting a visa like this would mean he could set up home with you in NZ and gather the 12 months' partnership proof necessary to get Residence, withoug having to get a partner-sponsored temporary work visa first.)

Thank you so much.. that cleared up a lot in my mind.. ahahaha

we lived together for more than 2 years 2008-2010 back in the Philippines.. but all the utility bills is under his name.. and I don't think I can use bank account back statements cause we use cash in the Philippines to pay rent.. this is hard.. hehehe.. well according to you explanation it will be best if we apply for partner-sponsored work visa...?
    or visitors visa first?
    how long is a visitors visa?
    and can he get a job while on a visitors visa?

Im also telling him to apply work here in NZ via online.. but I don't think he can get one unless he is already here in NZ.. we are both computer graphics 3D animation artist.

well according to you explanation it will be best if we apply for partner-sponsored work visa...?
    He can't apply for a partner-sponsored work visa UNTIL he can show proof that you have been living together.
    or visitors visa first?
    Isn't this how you and he are going to get to be in the same country so that you CAN live together for some weeks, collect some evidence, and THEN apply? (If you have holiday time in hand, you could go and collect partnership evidence by being with him where he is, instead.)
    how long is a visitors visa?
    Look on the INZ site for matters like this. See this page and the links. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/
    can he get a job while on a visitors visa?
    He can go looking for a job, but he's not allowed to start work without being on some kind of work visa. See detail on last link.

What do you mean about that link? It's talking about the same visa I mentioned already. And it says

The overseas partner may also apply for a Partnership work visa, if:
    the couple has not lived together for 12 months yet (as is required for residence) but can show sufficient evidence of living together in a stable and genuine relationship;
    (my bolding)

Like I said already, he can't apply for a partner-sponsored work visa UNTIL he can show proof that you have been living together. And you can't show proof you've been living together until you somehow get together in the same country, and start living together.