Thread: Any one for social work

Question Any one for social work

In my previouse incarnation (pre children) I was a mental health social worker and we are applying with me as the principle applicant as social work is on the skills shortage list. (OH is in IT and on skill shortage list but would have had to go through the NZQA route).
    I'm looking for job information on social work /social care (adult clients but not necessarily mental health) particularly in the major city areas (esp Auckland &Wellington as these also seem to be farily safe bets for OH finding work as well.)
    I've found a few agencies but they seem mainly focused on Nurses and teachers.
    Any one who can share their NZ work experiences with me would be great. Any CPN's out there or nurses who can comment on working life in a NZ hospital. I have always done community based work in the past but would like the oppertunity to try something new.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Debbie

Hello Debbie

Have a look at this job opportunity with Baptist Action Community Services :

SOCIAL WORKERS AND COUNSELLOR
    South Auckland Based
    Residential and Community Based opportunities

Do you have a passion to "make it better" for families and individuals caught in destructive life patterns? As a Christian agency our vision is to apply our training and skill to enable people to walk a new path.

Merivale Whanau Development Centre
    As an experienced Social Worker, working primarily with mothers and children in a residential programme, you will work collaboratively with CYFs and other agencies on behalf of families who have issues such as abusive relationships, addiction, and care and protection. You will be eligible for Social Work registration and have a current drivers licence.

Manurewa Family Services
    We work in the community, making assessment of care and protection issues, providing families with new skills in parenting and relationships. We are looking for an experienced Social Worker and an ACC registered counsellor.

Applications for these roles should be sent to Jackie Clarkson, PO Box 43017, Mangere Town Centre, or email to jaqui.clarkson@baptistaction.org.nz
    Applications close Friday 16th September 2005

Caring Service through the Love of Jesus

Hello Debbie, one more for you.

Job opportunity with Youth Horizons :
    PERSONAL ADVISOR/Kai Atawhai
    A chance to join an exciting organisation delivering Services for Young People

Youth Horizons is a Not-for-Profit organisation established to provide treatment for young people aged between the age of 11 and 17 with significant mental health and/or behavioural problems. Youth Horizons provides a range of residential, fostercare, education and community based services, as well as increasingly developing services to work with young people and families at risk of poor outcomes due to a range of social and demographic indicators.

The organisation is an acknowledged leader in its field in NZ and provides a unique blend of evidence based and community focused services for young people with high and complex needs.

We are looking for a person to work in our Care to Independence service as a Personal Advisor/Kai Atawhai.

It is a new service and a new concept for NZ. You will need the skill and experience to guide young people leaving the care of CYF in full risk-taking flight through to independent and safe living in the community.

You will need to have the experience and personality to work with young people who are tasting freedom for the first time. If you can be firm, decisive, deal with risk and resist the temptation to rescue you are likely to be the kind of person we are looking for.

A social work or mental health background is essential.

To view this position go to our website www.youthorizons.org.nz and view Positions Vacant.

If you require more information contact Naomi on ++64 9 5730954 Ext 216 or email naomia@youthorizons.org.nz

Smile

Hello Debbie

Detailed information about community services in NZ : http://www.kiwicareers.govt.nz/indus...ea/i3i_csv.htm

Good Luck

One more to go............

Information for overseas social workers : http://www.cyf.govt.nz/1158.htm

I recommend you get registration or at least start the process. Its not currently compulsory but it will be soon and many employers will expect it. I have heard that there is a back log of applicants ( i recruit social workers so my candidates let me know whats going on !) so I would get it started sooner rather than later.

Have a look at this link for more information http://www.msd.govt.nz/work-areas/ch...l-workers.html

Michelle

Singel and Michelle,
    Thanks loads for the info, it's great to see that there are least social work posts being advertised.
    Michelle, if you don't mind could you tell me who you recruit for, (PM me if you prefer not to name names on the forum). Thanks for the heads up on registering, I am aware that socail work is going through this chang in NZ and I will check out the link you sent me tonight when the kids are in bed. I thought I had to wait untill I was in country to register but if there is work I can do here that will be great.
    Do you think, from your experience that there is a demand for part time workers or do you tend only to deal with full time job vacancies?
    I've been looking at North Shore hospital but only because they had a big drive on at 1 of the emigration shows and gave out a load of info.
    Thanks again to everyone of reading these posts and all the great help / support this forum and the individuals who use it provide.
    Debbie