Thread: North Shore primary school special education

Default North Shore primary school special education

Our daughter is 4.5 yrs so getting close to primary school age. She has global development delay and has been granted a speech and language therapist and an early intervention teacher through her day care centre. We now have to decide which school we would like her to attend. Can anyone recommend any primary schools on the North Shore who are particularly supportive when it comes to children with special education needs? We would love to live near the Sea (love East Coast Bays) but keen to get any advise/recommendations people may have.

Esther

Hi
    There is a special school in wairu park/Glenfield worth looking at I do know they take children with extreme learning difficulties you may be able to put her into a main stream school with extra help worth contacting one of the local schools in ECB (I live in Torbay) all are pretty good

She will definitely go to mainstream school. I really fancy living in Torbay.

Hi! I don't really know much about this subject but here are some articles I remember reading a while back...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10795843

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10786481

Do check out both schools - Wairau Valley Special School and Torbay School to see if they have suitable programmes for your kid. A visit to both schools and getting to know the teachers would determine the best place for your child. Wairau Valley is just 10 mins away from Torbay so it isn't too far to travel.

A lot of mainstream schools don't have the resources to cater to children of special needs due to the government cuts in education funding so sometimes the choice is taken out of your hands, or you may need to provide additional help to her.

I have heard nothing but positive comments about Torbay School so it may be worth a visit to check them out. The school has an enrolment zone so you need to see if you are living or going to live within the zone.

My son went to Torbay school and I would recommend it, The other schools in Torbay also have a good reputation (Long Bay Primary which is in a beautiful setting and Glamorgan school) Torbay does have a special learning unit