Thread: schooling, teenager and visitor's visa.........

Default schooling, teenager and visitor's visa.........

I realise everyone's situation is unique in being that tiny bit different from the next person's. So while I have searched these threads assuming I would come across someone in the same set up as myself and my partner, I can't find a similar combination of circumstances to see how the experience panned out.

Anyhow-my latest query is about schooling for my 14 year old. So if I (S.African single parent) come in on a visitor's visa, and so does she, and then immediately start living with my partner, and applying for the partnership sponsored work visa after a few weeks.....what about her schooling?
    As far as I understand, my daughter would only be able to go to school under the domestic fees setup, once she is on the student visa, which could only be applied for when I have gained the partnership sponsored work visa.
    So if I fail to get it as soon as I would like, and have to keep extending the visitor's visa up till the time permitted, she would not be able to go to school for that time period....is this correct?

Has anyone been in this situation and is there any way around it?
    Maybe there's something that I'm missing.

Thanks for any help or any one else's experience!

Here's a page of Q&A about 'unlawful' childrenhttp://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase/item/3534 - I know that won't be your child, but look at this hopeful paragraph sitting in the middle of it.

Does this mean my child no longer needs a student visa?

No. Immigration New Zealand still requires anyone studying in New Zealand to hold a visa. Usually this will be a student visa, but in some cases it may be a visitor visa (if they are studying for less than three months in any calendar year).
    (My bolding again.)

Three months would be a start, at least, while you were working on the long term visa situation.

And here's another article with more detail, and where you can ask for more information. http://www.minedu.govt.nz/Parents/Al...nlawfully.aspx

Also this. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...yinnewzealand/

And an old thread. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21825

The Ministry of Education updates eligibility for schooling criteria early each year, so this may not last long, but in the case of a child with a student visa:

Visitor Visa holders can go to school as a visitor for up to two weeks, at the school’s discretion. No tuition fees are paid and they are not entered on ENROL. Or they can attend a Code signatory school as an international fee-paying student for up to 3 months in any one year. Or they may be on a short-term government approved exchange programme.
    That circular also links to the "students living unlawfully in NZ" page, but from what I remember I don't think that route would work.

In case it turned into a case of enrolling her as an international student, you can look up various high schools to see what fees they charge.

Best wishes with everything!

Thanks JandM-three months is indeed better than nothing, so that's a chink of light....... And sophiedb- I had slight confusion when you began with'-in the case of the child with a student visa....and then continued......visitor visa holders etc.......although I understood as I went along, that if you're on a visitor visa, the two weeks thing can apply.
    So that's a good thing I guess, to be able to get a taster for a school. We definitely want to avoid international fees as I've heard they are a killer!

Quote Originally Posted by small white cat View Post
    And sophiedb- I had slight confusion when you began with'-in the case of the child with a student visa....
    doh! stoopid typo...