Thread: Autoglazier with 18 yrs experience wants visa somehow

Default Autoglazier with 18 yrs experience wants visa somehow

Hi there,
    Can anyone help. I'm looking for anyway of getting a visa for nz. I'm 36 and am an experienced autoglazier. I have an NVQ level 2 Diploma and 18 years work experience.
    Looking for visa advise as my job is not on the shortage list.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Hi Winnie

From the information you've posted, you wouldn't be able to apply under the SMC (Skilled Migrant Category) as you are unlikely to score enough points.

As you've realised, your job isn't on the skills in demand list, so it is unlikely you will be able to apply under the Work to Residence route.

It is on the list of essential skills, see here but at skill level 4 - job classification 899412 AUTOGLAZIER.

Essential skills work visas (temporary and usually for up to 2 years) are aimed at skill level 1,2 and 3 AND your prospective employer would have to prove there was no Kiwi capable of doing the job have a look here .

You don't say what your family circumstances are or the reason you are looking for the visa. If you are single there is nothing to stop you applying for a working holiday visa. But if you are looking to relocate more permanently by yourself or with family for the longer term I wouldn't get your hopes up, sorry. Unless you have a partner who may score more highly and they could be the principal applicant?

Others may have ideas but that's my reading of the requirements.

If you are single there is nothing to stop you applying for a working holiday visa.
    Sorry, but at 36 he's over the age limit for WHV or BUNAC IEP.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Sorry, but at 36 he's over the age limit for WHV or BUNAC IEP.
    Of course, you are right - I'd focused on his skills and not age!

Sorry OP, not looking good for you.

Do you have money to buy or start a business? Perhaps you could look at one of the investment visas:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/

Otherwise, outside of establishing a relationship with a kiwi, I agree your chances look slim.

So even with a job offer there's no way we'd be able to get anything permanent...... I presume this would be the same for oz then...

My partner has always done office work - customer services and sales so don't think that's an option. Surely there has to be some way ........

Hi Winnie

I don't really know about Oz, I've only researched NZ, but I suspect you're right - similar for Canada too. The only thing I can think of for you is to improve your qualifications or retrain in a skills in demand area. And the latter is risky, because whats in demand now might not be in 2 or three years when you've finished training.

The tough news is that you are not currently skilled enough - skill level 4 and NVQ level 1 are basically seen as labouring lobs. which should be well in the grasp of less qualified locals, perhaps as trainees initially. so you are unlikely to get a job offer as I think it would be very hard for any NZ employer to demonstrate there were no Kiwis available. Think about the spouting of our own politicians and newspapers here about "British jobs for British people" - it's pretty much the same.

If you did manage to get a job offer, the longest visa you will be able to get is a temporary one for one year (form the link I posted above):

"Visas for successful applicants whose application is based on an employment offer for an occupation classified as ANZSCO Skill Level 4 or 5 will be granted for a maximum duration of one year".

What you could do as a bit of research to satisfy yourself is to contact a few of the NZ auto glazing companies and ask them if they have any problems filling their vacancies. some I found were Novus, Smith&Smith (owned by the same group as Autoglass in the UK) and AA Auto Glass. I suspect that many are operated on a similar basis to the UK as in that they are franchises. If they come back and say they get 50 applicants for every job and always find someone suitable then you'll at least know.

Someone mentioned up thread that setting up your own business is a possibility, so perhaps a franchise might work for you. But not to be undertaken lightly, you need funds to invest in the business and money to support you and your family. You get an initial nine months to make progress on your business, which will be extended up to 3 years if you make good progress, and then you can apply for residence. For all that time, you are without some the protection and benefits having a residence visa brings.

You could also consider trading your missus for one who could apply as the principal applicant - but that would be a very drastic course of action
    Last edited by RedVee; 22nd January 2013 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    My partner has always done office work - customer services and sales so don't think that's an option. Surely there has to be some way ........
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/