Thread: Possible move to Blenheim from the UK

Default Possible move to Blenheim from the UK

Hi all,

I'm currently awaiting the outcome of my residence visa application via my native Kiwi partner. He has a very promising job interview in Blenheim, and although I've visited the area on my trips to NZ before, I was wondering if anyone can give any advice on the area. I'm a commercial solicitor in my mid-late twenties, so will either be looking to become a registered lawyer in NZ or move into another related career path, but not sure what job opportunities are like. Any advice on family life (we don't have kids yet but hopefully in the near future), and social life in the area appreciated also!

Thanks

Sarah

Hi sarah,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, my one trip through Blenheim isn't enough to make a comment of any value. But I found my ultimate destinations nearby, Picton and the surroundings quite pretty.

I think with your UK legal qualifications you'll get exempted from some or most of the registration requirements. Even though I'm admitted in the US, because my basic egal education was from Ukraine, I was asked to take all six parts of the exams for foreign lawyers. I decided not to do this as I am still able to do some US-based work remotely from here. You can look up the general info on NZ lawyer registration here: http://www.ibanet.org/PPID/Constitue...aland.aspx#4.1
    Here's more detailed info on the actual application process: http://www.nzcle.org.nz/Docs/Admission_Brochure.pdf I think it'll be easier to get registered and find a lawyer's job rather than finding a law-related one without registration.

Good luck.

There are several forum members living in/around Blenheim, who would be closer to your age than me ..., I can only speak for myself and we love living here.
    A lot depends on your personality, I suppose, it is said that it is not too easy to. Find friends here, people are probably more reserved and conservative than in other (bigger?) places, but there a lots of people from different parts of the world, and New Zealand, living here through the wine industry
    Our children (all around 20ish) thought there were too many 'old' people living here, I have the feeling that more and more younger ones/ young families come and our daughter even choose to work at least for a year in Blenheim because she enjoys the weather and found a new passion in rowing.

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. I'm living in Blenheim, originally from Dublin. Its a nice town but a little on the quiet side in my opinion - it has everything you need, just not everything you may want, but I have to admit, its easy to adapt & I don't miss looking for a taxi on a cold night in Dublin! There are a few nice bars in town but we don't really go into town on a Saturday night - I think I'm getting old! Have a look at the event guide if you want to get a feel for the different activities on around Marlborough http://www.marlborough4fun.co.nz/ .

As Newarrival says, people are probably a little more reserved than in the cities but I've met some lovely people here (NZers & expats) and have made a few good friends. I've even found some new hobbies too!

We don't have kids, but there are plenty of parks with playgrounds around town & it certainly feels like a nice town to bring up a young family - I'm sure some of the parents on the forum will share their experiences of the town too.

Good luck with the move!

Only ever driven through Blenheim, but liked what I saw. You could do a long-distance tour about town on Google maps to see what it looks like if you've not done it yet. but just wondered

How did the interview go?

Blenheim is a nice place to visit on route to somewhere else (usually Marlborough and Nelson)... It's "sleepy" to say the least. My mid-60s in-laws were there recently and found it a little too quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    Blenheim is a nice place to visit on route to somewhere else (usually Marlborough and Nelson)... It's "sleepy" to say the least. My mid-60s in-laws were there recently and found it a little too quiet.
    Well, 'en route to Marlborough' sounds very funny, since we are in the middle of it... It all depends on what you are looking for, I suppose?! My 22 year old daughter just finished her nursing degree and choose to come to Blenheim for at least a while. She likes the weather, started rowing, met lots of younger people through that... But if you need nightlife I guess it is not the right place to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Well, 'en route to Marlborough' sounds very funny, since we are in the middle of it...
    Yes, I was referring to the Marlborough Region, by which I mean visiting vineyards!

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Well, 'en route to Marlborough' sounds very funny, since we are in the middle of it... But if you need nightlife I guess it is not the right place to be in.
    That does sound strange. Where is this magical "Marlborough" that you have to go through Blenheim to get to? Also, I think Blenheim has good "nightlife" it's just not busy. I'm sure that makes no sense. What I mean is Blenheim has some marvelous eateries and craft beer bar/pubs but you don't have to wait long to get your drink, you can find a place to sit, and you can hear each other. If you like a place to be extremely busy and bustling, then Blenheim would be frustrating. Lack of busyness doesn't mean it doesn't have quality things to do. There is great fishing at the Wairau bar and diversion. The Sounds provide endless opportunities for fishing, tramping, swimming, and camping. If you like shopping at the big, corporate box stores, many of those stores in Blenheim are cleaner, better stocked and nicer than their counterparts in Nelson. The sports complex is newly remodeled and really nice. There are heaps of parks for the littlies. Blenheim has a lot of social clubs. Perhaps that's why it seems "quiet" because people do a lot of things through their various clubs. To me, it does seem to have a high population of retired people. It could just seem that way to me because my retired in-laws live there.

To the OP, if you are looking to eventually settle in the region to raise children, I recommend Witherlea Primary School. My child went there and we absolutely loved it. We did move from Blenheim because I found it too small but it is very nice. For me, it is a lovely place for a weekend getaway.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    Yes, I was referring to the Marlborough Region, by which I mean visiting vineyards!
    Ahhhh. It still sound a little odd because people in various parts of Blenheim live right next to vineyards. In fact, I found it really annoying to be woken up by the helicopters keeping the frost off the vines. It sounds like a massive swarm of mutant bees at 3 in the morning.