Thread: Employment Options in New Plymouth

Default Employment Options in New Plymouth

Hi all,
    My wife is a business graduate with over 2 years experience. What kind of part-time employment opportunities she can find in New Plymouth area?
    Also, do banks have part-time jobs?
    Secondly, her BBA(honors) is from Pakistan which is a 4 years bachelor degree. How can she get her qualification recognized? Qualification assessment body?
    I know for Engineering there is IPENZ.
    Please advise.

Regards

Recognized by whom? The potential employers? Considering the name of the degree says what it is, and she can presumably provide references, I wouldn't think this would raise an issue. If anyone wanted more, then yes, NZQA.

Although this list is intended to be for immigration purposes only, you might want to look on the INZ website for qualifications exempt from assessment, to see if her qualification and university are there. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ndguides/lorq/ An employer might be reassured to see it and not require the NZQA.

Thanks JandM. So what are the job prospects for her in New Plymouth? Anyone, please share.
    Regards.

As general rule, part time vacancies are likely to be branch based customer service roles at the lower end of the payscales, and entry roles are often casual/periodic. Whilst banking experience is an advantage, they will usually take on people with "selling" experience too.

The better paid jobs tend to be around the major centres of population, as do the opportunities for joining their graduate schemes (although your wife has 2 years experience that might not be a bad option) but these tend to be full time roles.

Look at the careers sections of the banking websites (Westpac, ANZ, TSB, BNZ etc) and Seek.co.nz for more information.

If you are claiming points for your wife's qualification on your visa application (assuming you are doing the skilled migrant one) AND her degree/institution/year of graduation is not on the list that JandM posted above, she will need to get NZQA to assess the qualification anyhow. The fee is per application but you can ask for the qualification to be assessed for more than one purpose.

I don't think your wife's profession needs any particular recognition beyond that, the jobs are not on the LTSS/ISS lists nor does she need professional registration to practice.

Hi

Due to the oil and gas industry in new Plymouth its salaries are in line with Auckland with significant lower housing costs.

Quote Originally Posted by jgmcavoy View Post
    Hi

Due to the oil and gas industry in new Plymouth its salaries are in line with Auckland with significant lower housing costs.
    That may be true generally, but most of the banks have their head offices in Auckland and Wellington. Think TSB may have a head office in New Plymouth though. My point was the better paid banking jobs tend to be in the head office locations, and tend to be full time.

Thanks for the responses. Actually I have an offer with an Engineering company and waiting for work visa to be granted. I will apply for residency after reaching NZ as I have heard it will be quicker rather than applying right now. I don't know if thats the case. My wife is accompanying me there under partnership work visa so she can work anywhere. But as she has banking background it would be better for her to work at a bank. However, she won't mind working anywhere as long as it is pertinent to her educational background for career growth. You know what I mean right. But going full time is not an option at the moment because our 2 year old son is too young to be left alone for long hours. So lets seeee .....
    We are hopeful to hear the good news regarding our visas this week ......