Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking alcohol in checked in baggage

Default Taking alcohol in checked in baggage

Can I take a bottle of whiskey in my checked in Baggage. It is a local brand and I wanted to give it to my new boss as a present.

Personal concession for alcohol​On entering New Zealand you are entitled to bring in the following quantities of alcohol products free of Customs duty, provided that you are over 17 years of age* and that the goods:

•Accompany you through the Customs arrival process.
    •Are for your own personal use, or intended as gifts.
    •Are not carried on behalf of another person.
    •Are not intended for sale or exchange.
    If the above is applicable the following amounts are allowed duty free:

•4.5 litres of wine or 4.5 litres of beer.
    •Three bottles (or other containers) each containing not more than 1,125ml of spirits, liqueur, or other spirituous beverages.
    Any amounts over the above will be liable for Customs duty and goods and services tax (GST). This includes bottles which are of greater volumes than the one described.

* Please note that New Zealand law prohibits the sale of alcoholic drinks and tobacco products to anyone in New Zealand under the age of 18 years. This restriction applies to New Zealand duty-free outlets.
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

As to whether it's okay in the checked-in baggage, perhaps the safest thing would be to check with the airline you're going to use.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

As to whether it's okay in the checked-in baggage, perhaps the safest thing would be to check with the airline you're going to use.
    Any decent wine shop should have wine shipping boxes in a variety of sizes. Although they are set up for 750 mL, 1 L bottles will usually fit (unless they are odd shaped). Depending on how you pack, 1 to 3 bottles will fit in your luggage. I'm not sure what liquor costs in Ireland, but I would recommend getting a 12 bottle box and taking your limit (3 bottles of the hard stuff per person; fill the rest up with wine)...you might want to check to see how much extra the airline will charge you for this--I've been charged from nothing to $50 (US) on Air New Zealand, Qantas and Virgin).

You can check booze. Don't lock your bag as it will possibly catch the attention of baggage screening.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

You can definitely take booze in a checked bag. How else are you going to transport it considering the limitations on liquids in hand luggage? Wrap it up well in a towel and place it in the middle of your bag (vertically and horizontally!) and it will be fine. Don't worry about locking your bag either, it won't catch anyone's attention. We ALWAYS lock bags and have never had an issue.

Just dont forget to declare it, along with any other food/drink stuff, on the customs arrival forms cos if they find it and you havent you could have an automatic $220 fine to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by catt View Post
    Just dont forget to declare it, along with any other food/drink stuff, on the customs arrival forms cos if they find it and you havent you could have an automatic $220 fine to pay.
    A fine point, but you only need to declare alcohol if it's over the personal limit (3 x bottles <1125 ml). Here's the Customs form: http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/reso...%20version.pdf

Of note, alcohol brought into the country must be for personal use. [Though the section on bringing gifts into the country contradicts this page a little bit. At any rate, I wouldn't go advertising that the bottle is for your boss; but as long as you're breaking the law, I love Irish whiskey...]http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/charges/dutyfree/Pages/default.aspx

On entering New Zealand you are entitled to bring in the following quantities of alcohol products free of Customs duty, provided that you are over 17 years of age* and that the goods:

•Accompany you through the Customs arrival process.
    •Are for your own personal use, or intended as gifts.
    •Are not carried on behalf of another person.
    •Are not intended for sale or exchange.
    If the above is applicable the following amounts are allowed duty free:

•4.5 litres of wine or 4.5 litres of beer.
    •Three bottles (or other containers) each containing not more than 1,125ml of spirits, liqueur, or other spirituous beverages.
    Any amounts over the above will be liable for Customs duty and goods and services tax (GST). This includes bottles which are of greater volumes than the one described.

* Please note that New Zealand law prohibits the sale of alcoholic drinks and tobacco products to anyone in New Zealand under the age of 18 years. This restriction applies to New Zealand duty-free outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    Wrap it up well in a towel and place it in the middle of your bag (vertically and horizontally!) and it will be fine. Don't worry about locking your bag either, it won't catch anyone's attention.
    A towel is probably good enough packing, but I would enclose that in something waterproof. The industry term for baggage handlers is "throwers" for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    We ALWAYS lock bags and have never had an issue.
    Maybe it only applies when flying through the US, but if it's a TSA approved lock, TSA can open it. If it's not a TSA approved lock, well TSA can still open it, it's just not going to get locked ever again.

If its in the luggage its still comes under the food and drink no matter how much it is, i am talking MAFF not customs .........declare it

Quote Originally Posted by catt View Post
    If its in the luggage its still comes under the food and drink no matter how much it is, i am talking MAFF not customs .........declare it
    Where? There's no other arrival form, is there? Do you mean verbally at the xray machine? I am genuinely curious...It's been a few months since we last came into the country, but we've brought boxes of booze with us and never been questioned. I think once I was holding a duty free bag and the duty free store had been giving everybody free small (?50 ml) bottles of Grey Goose so they wanted to make sure we didn't have more than 6 total bottles. At any rate, I had not declared anything prior to that, and nobody made any mention that I would be fined next time if I wasn't more forthcoming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast