Thread: Using U.S. table lamps in NZ

Default Using U.S. table lamps in NZ

I've read here that there is no problem using U.S. table lamps in NZ....you just need a US>NZ plug adapter and a NZ light bulb. I checked and the screw-in light bulbs are available here.

Before I plug in my table lamps, I thought I'd double-check to make sure I won't burn the house down?

Thanks!

BTW - U.S. phones work in NZ with an electrical adaptor. But although the end that plugs into the phone is the same as in the U.S, the other end of the line that plugs into the wall is different. No worries - I just bought a new line at Warehouse.

Sorry I don't know the answer but how is the house coming along? I hope really well. Can't wait to pop up for a visit one of these days

Yes, it works if you use the adapter and NZ bulb. Currently have 6 lamps working in the house that way right now.

@kiwihusker, My container arrived three days ago (four days early!) so I've been busy getting the house in order - but almost finished! I look forward to you and family coming for a visit!

@Steve@Ana, thanks for the info. Today I'm off to buy bulbs! Funny, but when I first went to the U.S., it bothered me that every room didn't have a bright overhead light, but now that I'm back in the land of room lights, I miss the subdued lighting of my table lamps. There's no pleasing me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Before I plug in my table lamps, I thought I'd double-check to make sure I won't burn the house down?
    USA rated table lamps are rated at 110V, and we have 230V mains. Thus the insulation in the lamp (and the switch, if fitted) is under twice the stress it was expected it would be under.

I'd not recommend using this lamp in the way you suggest.

Hey Dell, I was going to answer that we are using our lamps with plug adapters and NZ bulbs no problem, but I see my hubby has made his yearly visit to the forum
    The only thing I have to add is that the adapters were a bit wobbly so I used electrical tape to bind them to the lamp plugs