Thread: single dependent status/ partner sponsorship

Unhappy single dependent status/ partner sponsorship

hi guys..

I have a single dependent status on my PR.. My mother was the principal applicant..
    Im staying here in NZ for almost 3 years now.
    My question is..
    can I sponsor my partner to come here in NZ even if my mother applied my PR as a single dependent status?

Im confused.. can anybody help?
    thank you very much..

I don't clearly understand what visa you have now. What does it say in your passport? Do you have Residence? Or Permanent Residence? And how old are you?

Hi amayjune

I can see from your previous thread/posts that JandM has tried to highlight what options are available for your partner to join you in New Zealand.

But from what I can see, assuming you moved at the same time, your mum/mother provided evidence at that time you and she were given residency that you were financially dependent on her.

For that she would probably had to show that she helped you with most, if not all of your financial requirements, perhaps said you lived at home with her? (This is why JandM will have asked about your age as it is slightly different for 18-20s and 21s-24s).

You now say that you were living with your partner for two years before you went to New Zealand - for that you would need to evidence financial interdependence with your partner. I would think that this is going to raise questions in the mind of any immigration officer. The website doesn't actually say you are not allowed to be in a relationship as a dependant child, but it does say "single" and "unmarried" - in my mind that would also exclude "de facto partnerships".

It is probably better for your partner, if he is skilled, to seek to get his own visa, then establish your "living together" evidence. Is he young enough to apply for Silver Fern (job search) visa (age 20-35?) That is one of the other options open to him, but competition can be fierce and the 300 places go very quickly. This years applications open in April click here for more details. He would be allowed to look for work on that visa, and convert to a Silver Fern Practical Experience visa if he got work, that visa lasts for up to two years.

thank you RedVee and JandM for replying,,
    Im turning 26 this year and my partner is turning 29,,
    I have a permanent Residence visa in my passport.

I was still dependent to my mother when I moved out because I was unemployed.

and yes.. in the residency application there was nothing written de facto, so its either married or single/unmarried.

we thought of applying for work visa under partnership.. (started gathering evidence)
    Its just that this is my very concern, that my mother applied me residency being dependent to her, but I was already living with my partner for a few months..
    will it affect my mothers application and my partners application?

thank you for suggesting about the silver fern.. we will do a research about it..

additional question:

if i am just a nz pr holder wanting to sponsor my partner, will nzis check how i was granted PR?? thus checking all paperwork how my mother was able to sponsor me and seeing all documents and affidavits submitted way back?

thank you..

I understand better now what you are asking.

You would not be able to use evidence that you lived together, three years ago, before coming to NZ, in order to get any kind of partnership visa now. It is too long ago. Generally, partnership evidence needs to show that the partners ARE living together now, when the application is submitted, and HAVE BEEN, continuously, for the last x amount of time. (The exceptions are for situations such as a long-standing partnership, where one has to travel away for work or study, and they can prove this, and how they stayed interdependent and in contact.)

If you tried to use the fact you lived together before, it would clash with the evidence your mother gave, and could cause problems for her and for you. But as it is no use mentioning that you lived together, the question will not arise.

Your situation now is, that you have Permanent Residence, and that means that you have the right to sponsor your partner. (It does not matter on what grounds you were originally given Residence - that is all history. You were given it, and then also got PR.) As long as you and your partner can get together, either in NZ or in another country, and start living together and collecting evidence, then that is what will make the case for his visa, as I've already told you here. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....660#post470660

oh thank you very much for clearing a lot of questions in our head.. thank you..