Thread: Visa running out - time to reapply

Default Visa running out - time to reapply

Hi folks,

I came to NZ back in June 2012 on a working holiday visa and picked up a job pretty fast in Christchurch in digital marketing. I came with my girlfriend from the UK who has been here the same time and while our visa runs out in June we are looking to apply for a temporary working holiday visa to try and stay an extra year or two.

However, I'm getting lost over at the official website with all the options. While we would like to get full residency, we (my & gf) discussed that we haven't been in NZ for long enough and we are currently trying to work out the best option for us in terms of visa.

Following this http://www.enz.org/skilled-migrant-category.html we can easily get over 100 points and this to me seems the best option available at the moment. However, I was wondering given that I've been in NZ and working in Christchurch for 12 months there might be a better option for us?

Any advice to help my confusion would be amazing.

Thanks

Hello.

On your working holiday visas, you are entitled to take any job someone wants to give you. Things will change when you need to move on from that, and you are going to need to do this. First, because although you, being from the UK, are entitled to renew your WHV, you aren't entitled to work throughout the length of the 23 months, only for 12 months altogether. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm Then, getting almost any kind of work or residence visa from this point will require you to be in a skilled job that you have qualifications for (the exception being, if your employer was not able to find a suitable NZer to do the work, and can prove he advertised and tried before taking you on).

I was wondering given that I've been in NZ and working in Christchurch for 12 months there might be a better option for us?
    This doesn't give you any special openings with INZ for a visa, although it will be an advantage with NZ employers, who like to see 'NZ experience' from an immigrant worker.

You say, 'We are looking to apply for a temporary working holiday visa' - there isn't anything called this. There's the WHV you're already on. Then there is the range of temporary work visas http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/. Or there is Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nt/default.htm, which you've already found.

If either of you is in a skilled job now, or you have skilled qualifications and can get a job offer that uses those qualifications, you may be able to qualify under one of these routes (and if one qualifies, the other will be able to claim some kind of visa as the partner). Be careful when looking at the points calculator on the INZ website for the Skilled Migrant Category, as it seems to be allowing some points to be added when there's actually an either/or. Check here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ant/caniapply/ and with the links off the page. And if you'd like to tell us what points you're looking at, people will be able to comment as to whether the total seems right. Something over 100 points with a skilled job in place, or the offer of one, and the provable qualifications for it, would get you selected at the next draw.

Hi,

Thanks for the awesome response.

I know that my current, my employer did search for New Zealand people first and that someone in my line of work are pretty hard to find. I have no doubt that they will support this during my visa with proof.

I triple checked the points system and got 230 points. My partner will most likely be around the same number.

I think the SMC might be the best option for us going forward towards residency.

Thanks again

You don't both have to apply separately under SMC. One can go as the principal applicant, having to put forward evidence for their qualifications and work experience, and the other can be on the application as partner, with just partnership evidence (apart from the health and character checks everyone has to provide).

One other thing - don't trust the INZ website processing time estimates. It's probably a good idea to get your application in as soon as you can, and you may still find they need to be nudged in the last 6 - 8 weeks before you WHVs expire (on the lines, 'Do you think my Residence is likely to be granted in time, or should I also apply for work visa to cover me?' at which point many people find their approval rapidly arrives), as there seems to be the mindset that someone already in NZ legally working doesn't need quick results.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You don't both have to apply separately under SMC. One can go as the principal applicant, having to put forward evidence for their qualifications and work experience, and the other can be on the application as partner, with just partnership evidence (apart from the health and character checks everyone has to provide).
    So just to confirm then this would be a single fee of $1810 (current price of SMC) for both of us. If that's the case then that's amazing.

Yeah, my partner is at a festival at the moment but as soon as she gets back we are applying asap. The sooner we apply the better

We-ell, there are other costs beyond the initial submission. Just to make you feel lucky that you're already in NZ, not yet to come from abroad, have a look at the listing here. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13682&page=9 (post #83) I know the monetary costs are a year old (at least), but the information may be useful. You'll see, apart from things that won't concern you at all, that there are INZ fees for different stages of the application (EOI, ITA, migrant levy), and costs for various indispensable bits of paperwork and formalities.

And, re: 'cost of SMC' - all INZ fees are for processing the application, successful or not, and can't be regarded in the light of buying the visa.

Thanks for this. Very helpful.