Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subsidized medicines

Default Subsidized medicines

I have heard that medicines prescribed by doctors to PR holders and citizens are heavily subsidized and are very cheap compared to their market price.

Can someone tell me if common anti-allergy medicines are also subsidized or is it only prescription medicines? I badly need an anti-allergy medicine but the genuine medicines that actually work cost $30-40 at the pharmacy which I can't afford at the moment.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Only certain prescriptions are subsidised, not everything. If it is subsidised, it costs $5 per drug (not per whole prescription like in the uk). Check with your doctor what help might be available. I've not tried to get anti-allergy (ie antihistamines) through prescription myself.

Antihistamines are certainly prescribed by my GP

it is my understanding though that epi-pens (a prescription adrenalin for severe allergic reaction/anaphylaxis) are not subsidized and cost $100-$200. Still less than what I paid in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by webmister View Post
    I have heard that medicines prescribed by doctors to PR holders and citizens are heavily subsidized and are very cheap compared to their market price.

Can someone tell me if common anti-allergy medicines are also subsidized or is it only prescription medicines? I badly need an anti-allergy medicine but the genuine medicines that actually work cost $30-40 at the pharmacy which I can't afford at the moment.
    If you see the GP then you should get 3 months supply.

What do you mean by the genuine medicines that actually work?

If you are talking about generic medicines, then they contain exactly the same active ingredients but are significantly cheaper.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    If you see the GP then you should get 3 months supply.

What do you mean by the genuine medicines that actually work?

If you are talking about generic medicines, then they contain exactly the same active ingredients but are significantly cheaper.

Ian
    There are some cheap imported medicines being sold by pharmacies that are low quality. I bought one of those but I have to take three tabs to take effect while I have to take only 1 tab of genuine medicine with the same ingredients and same quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by webmister View Post
    There are some cheap imported medicines being sold by pharmacies that are low quality. I bought one of those but I have to take three tabs to take effect while I have to take only 1 tab of genuine medicine with the same ingredients and same quantity.
    I can only assume that you purchased some medication that was near its use before date or maybe was counterfeit medicines. It is very clear that generic versions are 100% as effective as the brand name equivalents and in many cases (approx 50%) it is the same company producing both versions.

The only documented evidence that the brand name versions are better is from their placebo effect where the patient thinks that the brand name will be better and therefore feel that it was. It is interesting to note that the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) requires that generic drugs be as safe and effective as brand-name drugs.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    I can only assume that you purchased some medication that was near its use before date or maybe was counterfeit medicines. It is very clear that generic versions are 100% as effective as the brand name equivalents and in many cases (approx 50%) it is the same company producing both versions.

The only documented evidence that the brand name versions are better is from their placebo effect where the patient thinks that the brand name will be better and therefore feel that it was. It is interesting to note that the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) requires that generic drugs be as safe and effective as brand-name drugs.

Ian
    Thats not the case, the expiry date is 5/2015. I know all medicines should work the same way as long as they have the same ingredients but that is not the case with the one I bought. If it is allowed by forum admins then I can post its name here for anyone to try.

But now I think the only option I have is to spend 40-50 dollars to get the medicine from a GP even though I know exactly what medicine I need and what works for me

Post the names of both the medicine that works and that which doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    Post the names of both the medicine that works and that which doesn't.
    The one that didn't work is Loraclear for Hayfever Relief by AFT Pharmaceuticals. The one that works is Clarityn. Both of them have Loratadine 10mg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast