Thread: New member - question re granparents multiple entry visa

Default New member - question re granparents multiple entry visa

Hello everybody this is my first time posting on this forum (or any forum for that matter ) and am excited to be starting this journey with my daughter and her husband and children. My son in law is a NZ citizen and they have decided to move to NZ towards the end of this year and they want me to come along

We are planning on applying for the grandparents multiple entry visa in due course which I understand will allow me to visit for a total of 18 months out of 36. My question is this: - due to unhappy circumstances (my husband of over 30 years died in September and I have literally no one else in the world apart from my daughter and her family and also suffer with long term severe depression), I am very worried about travelling on my own and also living on my own for months at a time between the gaps living in NZ (obviously I want to spread the visits out so I am not on my own for 1yr plus at the end of the visa). Is there any compassionate grounds that are considered to allow me to stay with my daughter permanently when they move out? My daughter and her son have been doing a lot of research and it doesn't look good but we are hoping there is some little clause etc. hidden away that we haven't found that will let me stay with them?

If there is no compassionate grounds, where do other grandparents live when they are not with their family in NZ? I want to sell my UK house as I don't want it filled with squatters or burgled when I come back!

I would be so grateful for any information and look forward to talking more to all of you.

Hello.

No, I'm afraid there isn't any special concession like you mention.

Don't worry too much about the travelling. Once you've done the trip, you'll see that there are people all along the way whose job is to see you right. When you start out, you can tell yourself, 'This time tomorrow, I'll be in New Zealand.' There is just A DAY to get through, and you sit in a chair while people bring you things to eat and drink. You can sleep some of the time, and there's entertainment that you can choose from - you can mentally divide the time, so you think, 'One more film and we'll be landing to refuel,' or, 'Three more episodes of (whatever) and it'll be meal time.' Or you can take along a blockbuster book to dive into.

About where you could live - I suggest you go along to a letting agency, and ask them for suggestions. Maybe there might be apartments for rent in a managed block, where there are some optional communal activities. Or you could look into the possibility of residential hotels.

Don't despair! It will pass more quickly than you think and the journey is easier after the first time! We waited 5 years under the old system but of course its easier as a couple.
    We let our UK property through an agent who found us excellent tenants. They changed over the 5 years so twice we lived in our own property whilst back in UK and twice we lived with friends for a short time.
    We finally arrived as residents in September last year but still have to return to UK as we are finding it difficult to sell the house.
    Do hope it works out for you.

It was very stressful but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post

Don't worry too much about the travelling. Once you've done the trip, you'll see that there are people all along the way whose job is to see you right. When you start out, you can tell yourself, 'This time tomorrow, I'll be in New Zealand.' There is just A DAY to get through, and you sit in a chair while people bring you things to eat and drink. You can sleep some of the time, and there's entertainment that you can choose from - you can mentally divide the time, so you think, 'One more film and we'll be landing to refuel,' or, 'Three more episodes of (whatever) and it'll be meal time.' Or you can take along a blockbuster book to dive into.
    Welcome to the forum.

At first it seems scary and a long way, but I find that splitting it down into hour slots as a percentageofo the whole trip. Travelling East once you get to Hong Kong for instance, you are half way etc. Plus things as above suggested by JandM. It truly is just a day away. At home that time goes like lightening.

I travelled on my own in 2011 with OH coming out 2 months later to join me and it really wasn't the scary experience I was expecting, everyone is really helpful including people you will meet on the plane. It's a bit like those times of year in the UK when everyone will speak to you - Snow days - Christmas day walk - new baby in a pram.

It will all be fine

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Mr Manks and I have both travelled back to the UK for a visit, but we've each done it individually - not by choice necessarily, it was just circumstances that dictated. I really don't mind travelling alone as you only have yourself to consider/look after/entertain! I usually take a book and dive into the movies. I also try to sleep as much as possible. Get a neck pillow. That's the best piece of advice I can give you for that. Made SUCH a difference to my ability to sleep in economy. And get an eye mask and ear plugs too.

Quote Originally Posted by bibinan View Post
    Hello everybody this is my first time posting on this forum (or any forum for that matter ) and am excited to be starting this journey with my daughter and her husband and children. My son in law is a NZ citizen and they have decided to move to NZ towards the end of this year and they want me to come along

We are planning on applying for the grandparents multiple entry visa in due course which I understand will allow me to visit for a total of 18 months out of 36. My question is this: - due to unhappy circumstances (my husband of over 30 years died in September and I have literally no one else in the world apart from my daughter and her family and also suffer with long term severe depression), I am very worried about travelling on my own and also living on my own for months at a time between the gaps living in NZ (obviously I want to spread the visits out so I am not on my own for 1yr plus at the end of the visa). Is there any compassionate grounds that are considered to allow me to stay with my daughter permanently when they move out? My daughter and her son have been doing a lot of research and it doesn't look good but we are hoping there is some little clause etc. hidden away that we haven't found that will let me stay with them?

If there is no compassionate grounds, where do other grandparents live when they are not with their family in NZ? I want to sell my UK house as I don't want it filled with squatters or burgled when I come back!

I would be so grateful for any information and look forward to talking more to all of you.
    Hi there...I presume you will follow in 3 years time (when you daughter can sponsor you). If so then not to long to spend in the UK, the time WILL pass, the thought of it seems worse (understandably- since you are grieving-my condolences), remember at the moment most things will seem "difficult". Hubby and I are hoping to be in NZ by the end of this year, my Mum (71 yrs) will be in UK, also alone and suffers long term severe depression too. She says she will follow in 3 years (I'm not sure tho'), she hates travelling, feeling very ill throughout, 20 mins in a car if difficult. But if she does decide to come my hubby would fly out to uk and travel back with her to NZ (maybe some good knockout "drops" administered!) perhaps your daughter/son-in-law could do the same? your house could take ages to sell anyway...there will be lots to think about and do in that time. Remember you are not alone, keep in touch with the forum for info and company...

Hi and thank you to everyone who has replied to my original thread - sorry for taking so long to get back on here, not used to forums still .

Well things have sped up somewhat - my son in law has just found out he is going to be made redundant in the next 2 months so they will be moving a lot sooner than planned, so things are getting a lot more serious.

It seems there are no compassionate grounds then - that is really disappointing but we have to deal with things as they are I suppose. I have decided to get an all singing, all dancing alarm system for my house so that I feel safe and comfortable when in the uk, and will only put it up for sale when I fingers crossed get residency in three years.

I hope I could pick your brains a bit more? This is some way in the future, but when I put my EOI in for residency, I have heard the processing time for tier 1 parents visa is 18 months? Am I able to put the EOI in early so I am not sat twiddling my thumbs after the 3 year period is up? And if I can, would the medicals still be valid from when I lodge the application to the end of the processing time (I know medicals are valid for 3 months, but is my application accepted when I put the EOI in, or when I am selected for processing? Also (sorry) would my passport be retunred to me after theyve seen it so I can continue to use the grandparents visa?

There just seems to be so much to think about I'm very confused!
    Last edited by bibinan; 19th February 2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: mis-spelled

Yes, it's a complicated business, but you'll get through it if you just take things one step at a time. There are lots of people here willing to help with whatever crosses your mind, so just ask.

when I fingers crossed get residency in three years.
    Don't build your hopes on getting residency in three years, because it's not going to happen. You can start the application process in three years, and after that, it will take as long as it takes. If you look at old threads, you'll see that you can't rely on INZ estimated times, because INZ never know themselves how things will go. Already with the new parent scheme, we've seen some people be processed extremely fast, and others sitting waiting with no apparent progress. You've got your plan to get the parent/grandparent visa, and just about the time you can apply for sponsored Residence, you will ALSO be able to apply for a second parent/grandparent visa, so you can keep going to see the family.

Am I able to put the EOI in early so I am not sat twiddling my thumbs after the 3 year period is up?
    No, you can't submit your application early. The reason is that the sponsor (your daughter, in your case) having been in NZ as a resident for a minimum of three years is one of the qualifications. If someone looks at your application and sees that your daughter arrived in NZ 2 1/2 years previously, they would be automatically obliged to refuse it.

Medical. It has to be no more than three months old at the time the EOI is lodged - that is, when you send it to INZ, and they accept it into their system (after which it will go into the managed queue until eventually, it is its turn to be allocated to a CO). Normally, the time that passes while an application is with INZ doesn't count to make a medical (or police check, which also has a life) out of date. It is theoretically possible that INZ could ask for these things to be done again, but in practice it's extremely rare.

Passport. Yes, once it's been seen, it can come back to you. When you send in your application, specifically ask for it to be returned as soon as possible, then there's no misunderstanding.