Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ PR - Interview

Question NZ PR - Interview

Hi All,

Am having the Telephonic interview Tomorrow with my CO for NZ PR.

For friend/relatives , if am telling yes and giving their contacts, will they call /mail them to verify ...

Can someone help me out here with some details...

I don't know if they do do that-but it would make sense to err on the side of caution and be prepared for this level of follow up. Good luck with it-breathe deeply!

I dont have any thick friends who can help me out. All are my common friends... Thats why bit tensed. I have given all my details to all know persons ... But again heard that NZ will send some application form to friends and ask them to fill in as a process of verification.. is that correct ?

Hello and welcome.

I don't know about filling in forms - I have heard that COs will contact some people on the phone. If anyone knows differently I am sure they will comment. But however you know these people, you have asked them, they will say they would give you advice and friendship in NZ, and that is what you would expect, isn't that right?

I dont have any thick friends who can help me out. All are my common friends...
    It is better not to use these phrases when talking to the CO - they would have a different meaning in NZ English from what you intend. (If you say someone is 'thick', this means they are stupid or slow-witted, and if someone is 'common', they are judged as lacking manners and any refinement.) So - you don't have any very close friends (or personal friends) in NZ who can help you out, and the people you have mentioned are casual friends, or perhaps family friends.

Thanks for the reply. It did really help me out.

Can we use the term Mutual friends ?

Thanks,
    Jass

If you say to the CO they are 'mutual friends', it implies these people are friends of the CO as well as of yours. You could say (whichever person) is 'the friend of a friend'.

By the way, I've just realized where the idea of saying 'common friends' probably came from. There is the expression 'friends in common', which means the same as 'mutual friends' - you and the person you are speaking to BOTH know these other people.

That makes sense. Also had one more query.
    When CO asks about the current and past work experience, Should i provide them the full details including technical details of my day to day work ?
    Or can i keep it very short answers ?
    What is the best practice with CO, Do they require long answers with lot of talking or they just need short answers.

You will probably be able to judge this best when you are actually having the conversation. If in doubt, ask the CO him/herself how much they want you to tell them! But have a REAL CONVERSATION, not just tiny answers, as the CO will be judging 1) whether or not you are comfortable talking in English on a whole range of subjects, and 2) the kind of impression you will make upon NZ employers, as a person confident enough to be given a job and be immediately useful to them.

I doubt actually that they will want to talk much about your work experience, as they will have had all that information in your paperwork, and when checking with your past employers.

I know you haven't been a member of the forum for very long, so in case you haven't seen it before, this link http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/43652.htm shows you what the CO is checking on when they interview you, and this old thread has a lot of the standard questions that they all use, and links to more in other places. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27398 Recently, several forum members have said that their CO asked them, 'What will you do if you don't quickly find a skilled job?' and it is important NOT to say you will study, or work at something else (they have to believe you are going to use your own skill in NZ, soon). And another question is, 'What is the effect of the current economic situation on your career in NZ?'

Hi JandM,

Am done with my interview ... Any idea how long will it take for getting a decision from them or replies...? And will there be any rejection in this process...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast