Thread: Anyone got any experience with the Wellington branch?

Default Anyone got any experience with the Wellington branch?

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have lived i New Zealand for 5 years as I came here to study and now I am on a work visa. I have applied for skilled migrant residence. I would have applied for partnership residence as my partner is Kiwi and we have been living together for over a year but I was informed that this is only available to people who have been living in New Zealand for less than 2 years (sigh). So I have gone down the seemingly more complicated skilled migrant route. I have a PhD from an NZ university and a Masters degree from the UK, and I have a full time job here so I thought it would be relatively easy. But still the process is taking forever! I would have thought in my situation the process would be pretty straightforward since I have already made NZ my home but it seems like people who have never set foot in the country get residence faster than me! My ITA went in on October the 1st and I am still waiting for a case officer. It's crazy! Has anyone else applied through the Wellington branch? How long did it take?

Cheers,

Waiting

From Wellington branch processing times...

Once the pre-populated application form is returned to our branch and you lodge your residence application, your case officer will take on average nine to twelve months to make a final decision on your application.
    Ian

Thanks. Yes, I am aware that is what it says but I have heard of people getting it much faster so thought it may have been a 'worst case scenario' estimate. Perhaps I am going to be the worst case scenario! It just frustrates me because I have been here for 5 years and have paid taxes that whole time, contributed to the economy and I feel like it really should be faster. Anyway - I guess moaning doesn't speed it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I am aware that is what it says but I have heard of people getting it much faster so thought it may have been a 'worst case scenario' estimate. Perhaps I am going to be the worst case scenario! It just frustrates me because I have been here for 5 years and have paid taxes that whole time, contributed to the economy and I feel like it really should be faster. Anyway - I guess moaning doesn't speed it up!
    Sorry, it isn't a worst case scenario, just an average.

The general consensus is that if you are already in NZ then there isn't a rush to give you residence as you must already have another visa. If there is a reason why you need to get the visa approved more quickly then it is worth going into the branch and discussing the matter with them.

And yes, if you applied from the UK you would likely have been approved months ago.

Ian

Weird - I just read about someone who submitted their ITA to the same branch as me later than I did and is already approved! Similar circumstances - PhD graduate and full time working in NZ on an existing visa. Very strange. Guess I just have to wait while they take their sweet time.

Hi Waiting,
    I don't really have insight, just sympathy. Some of our processes were very long and some surprisingly short. I don't know why this is. The only thing in our power to help the process along is to have every single piece of info they ask for and to try to resist contacting the CO to ask for an update. I hope you hear something soon!

(From another thread I just saw)
    Did you actually hear anything from INZ during the waiting period, like did they ask for you to provide any extra info or anything? I am apparently in a 'managed queue' but not sure whether I should expect to hear anything from them when the case officer is assigned. Any insights you have into your own experience are much appreciated!
    Once we submitted our ITA, we received an email stating they had our docs and that a CO would be assigned within current Wellington time frames (with a link to said time frames). About a month later we got an email from Thomas Sinclair introducing himself as our CO and that he needed proof that we were still a co-residing couple since moving to NZ. I dropped off the additional info (electric bill and tenancy agreement) and later sent an email stating that I had done so, and to email if he needed anything else. We didn't hear anything until he called hubby's cell phone last week. I have no idea if he would have contacted us if he hadn't needed more info, but that personal phone call was a really nice touch!

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    (From another thread I just saw)
    Once we submitted our ITA, we received an email stating they had our docs and that a CO would be assigned within current Wellington time frames (with a link to said time frames). About a month later we got an email from Thomas Sinclair introducing himself as our CO
    First of all congratulations! Well done, guys! And all the best in NZ!

Did you get any information that your CO has verified your employment?
    I mean did your employer got an email or a phone call from your CO to check your employment?
    If yes, what questions were asked?

I appreciate your reply.

Extremely slow! I submitted my ITA on September and still waiting. After submitting ITA, Wellington brand sent me an email and said the CO will be allocated within 16 weeks but now is almost 5 months. Anyway, this is a waiting game

Quote Originally Posted by nznr View Post
    Did you get any information that your CO has verified your employment?
    I mean did your employer got an email or a phone call from your CO to check your employment?
    If yes, what questions were asked?
    If they contacted our employers past or present, they didn't mention it to us