Thread: Auckland: Where to look for a rental?

Default Auckland: Where to look for a rental?

I'm in the US, and probably going to accept a job in Auckland starting in July. The office is right next to the train station, which is great, because I'd love to live outside the city a bit and commute by train. (We don't have functional trains in the US, so the whole idea is really thrilling to me).

Where should I be looking? What districts/suburbs are on the rail? I've heard that Auckland's public transit is pretty lackluster compared to Wellington, but it's getting better. I'd love to not have to rely on a car for transport.

What about contacting an agency to help us find housing once we're on the island? Is that worth doing? I can't even pronounce half these cities let alone find them on a map to make heads or tails of my commute!

http://www.fourcorners.co.nz/new-zea...lic-transport/
    http://www.veoliatransport.co.nz/
    http://www.maxx.co.nz/media/9664/tra...ept%202010.pdf

That lot should give you a start with knowing where and when the trains and buses run - lots more info out there on Google.

If you sit back and wait for an agent to do something about housing, you'll wait a long while and be at the back of the queue, probably - you need to get involved, as good houses for rental go quickly, with prospective tenants lining up to shake the owner's hand. When you're there, you're probably best off getting some temporary accommodation to start with, then a car (rented or bought), to cover a lot of ground quickly to see how you FEEL about various areas. There's a great variety of character all within greater Auckland, and what you like will depend on your priorities and taste. There's a book, Where to live in Auckland http://www.aucklandhomefinders.co.nz...e-in-auckland/, which will give you some ideas up front. You can also get a good impression by using Google StreetView and 'standing on the street' in various places to look around. But nothing will compete with gut reaction when you're right there.

As to finding the places, again, use Google maps - they'll zoom you in on district centres, and you can then zoom out a bit to orient yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Slater View Post
    I'm in the US, and probably going to accept a job in Auckland starting in July. The office is right next to the train station, which is great, because I'd love to live outside the city a bit and commute by train. (We don't have functional trains in the US, so the whole idea is really thrilling to me).

Where should I be looking? What districts/suburbs are on the rail? I've heard that Auckland's public transit is pretty lackluster compared to Wellington, but it's getting better. I'd love to not have to rely on a car for transport.

What about contacting an agency to help us find housing once we're on the island? Is that worth doing? I can't even pronounce half these cities let alone find them on a map to make heads or tails of my commute!
    New York City has a fantastic public transport system. In my great 3 years there I never owned a car, never had a problem to go anywhere at anytime! The first thing I bought in Auckland is a car (in fact my first car ever) because the public transport system is ****. That said, if you only wish to travel to and from work and you rent near a train station you will be able to do it without a car.

Rentals in Auckland are almost all done via TradeMe.co.nz. You don't need an account to browse listings. I found the biggest challenge was getting agents to show up when they said--that was maddening at times.

There are only a few rail lines in Auckland: if you work in the CBD you might have a few blocks of walking from Britomart to your office. But there may also be some buses available to you too. Which suburb is the office in? Next to which train station?

As an alternative to rail, consider suburbs close to the Northern Express bus route. It is very efficient...there are buses to the CBD every 4 minutes during commuter hours and they run from very early in the morning to past 1am.

if u wanting to live out of the city the farthest point served by regular train is pukekohe, but by regular check out maxx mentioned above it wud only work for a 9-5 job monday to friday no trains a weekends

Auckland public transport is getting better...by 2035 it might well be but not in the short to medium term

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Slater View Post
    (We don't have functional trains in the US, so the whole idea is really thrilling to me).
    Most Aucklanders will tell you we don't have functional trains here either!

The express buses are good, I use them occasionally, but you need to either live close to the stop (less desirable usually), have another bus to catch to get there or drive to the stop... You also have to get there early if you want to park as the available parking spots fill up fast (at least the ones do up here!).

Auckland being a sprawling city doesn't have the best train/public transport system and network and hence most people drive to work; resulting in some pretty long traffic jams mostly on the motorways. If you are interested in taking the train to work and want to live in an affordable rental suburb, you might consider Western Auckland ie Waitakere City. Massey, West Harbour, Hobsonville are possible considerations and you can drive to the train station and commute. This rather than you live south of Auckland city, as a possible consideration.

However I find the ferry the most pleasant way to commute mostly because there is no road jams and certainly it is a more delightful way to travel and see the beauty of the harbour in the morning. If you can get an affordable rental in the Devonport area, the ferry is the way to go. Beware though the suburb is keenly sought after mainly because people really like living there. You can even bring your bike on the ferry, something you can't do on the bus.

For a more affordable area, consider the alternative Birkenhead ferry which is also a pleasant journey though parking can be the problem. Birkdale, Beach Haven used to be low socio-economic suburbs but in the last 2 years or so, have risen up quickly due to more middle-class, younger families moving into the area, being pushed out , daunted by the higher prices found in almost all of the North Shore. So finding a more reasonable rental is possible.

There are also ferries from Manukau and even as far away as Gulf Harbour. Some people consider the alternative of living on Waiheke Island (real estate there is cheaper) and commuting to work by the ferry. However such journeys cost more and are far longer.