Thread: Telephone & broadband

Default Telephone & broadband

So, I'm emigrating to NZ on Saturday with my three young children; OH to follow in June. Sorted most stuff - rental house, schools/nursery etc for kids (BTW, how did people emigrate before the internet?). Anyway, I'm sure this has been asked many times before so can anyone point me in the direction of a thread on best phone and/or broadband providers? Or offer any new words of wisdom? Thanks

Anne

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

The biggest issue with broadband in NZ compared to other countries is that there are monthly caps on data limits. Obviously the more data you want to use, the more you'll have to pay. Considering you're going to be here for a few months without your OH, I'm guessing Skype calls will be frequent, therefore you should factor that in as it will push your requirements up. If you exceed your data limit all is not lost, but it goes to dial-up speeds (remember those days?!).

Most companies offer packages, which can include landline, mobile, internet and pay TV (Sky/cable). You need to compare your needs against what the packages offer.

We don't have a phoneline as we have no need for one. We have our mobiles and that's it. Most packages include phone and internet but if you don't want a landline, you will need to get "naked" broadband. No difference to normal. This is what we have through Vodafone and we have tons of data each month (100GB) that we never get through. We also get our Sky through Vodafone and we don't pay the monthly fee to upgrade to MySky (NZ equivalent of Sky+).

Other providers are Telecom, TelstraClear, Orcon, Slingshot (heard bad reviews about their customer service),

I just signed with Vodafone for the megapack - NZ$95 month for a landline and 100gb month internet. I'm paying less than I did in the U.S so I'm happy. The landline allows for free local calls but calling anywhere else is expensive. There are packages available for cheaper long distance - but I email rather than call so for me, it isn't an issue. I've been really happy with Vodafone service, so far! The package I've signed up for would probably cost a little less in a larger NZ city.

Can't beat Orcon at the moment: From $75 (for 30gb) up to $99 (for unlimited). Included is a VOIP phone. I have not noticed a quality difference with a regular phone--the only draw back is it takes you down to one phone jack; a multi handset cordless phone would solve the problem (if it is a problem for you). Free landline calling within NZ. I really don't need the landline at all, but I have not found a cheaper naked broadband plan.

Just changed our package: 150gb broadband and landline with Telecom for $99.

I think for us, 50Gb would be enough though, so I'll change the package again to pay $85 (including phone).

Daniela

I'm on the same package; been happy with Telecom so far.

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Just changed our package: 150gb broadband and landline with Telecom for $99.

I think for us, 50Gb would be enough though, so I'll change the package again to pay $85 (including phone).

Daniela

we use orcon mentioned above. only prob i know of ppl having is when they live rural it can ages to get set up

A better forum for BB queries could be Geekzone. There are dedicated threads for every NZ Internet Provider.

we have been on slingshot for over a year now...and quite happy... unlimited is good

Quote Originally Posted by mooncalf View Post
    we have been on slingshot for over a year now...and quite happy... unlimited is good
    We've been with Slingshot for over a year now and get landline plus unlimited broadband for $121 per month with no dramas.

Would advise getting unlimited if you have teenagers and/or intend to Skype lots