Thread: US Attorney near Wanaka/Queenstown?

Default US Attorney near Wanaka/Queenstown?

Hi, we're taking advantage of a refinancing offer for our home in the US, but title company requires us to do the signing/closing in the presence of either a US embassy or a US attorney. We're in Wanaka. My understanding is that the US embassies are in Auckland and Wellington.

Are there any US attorneys in the Wanaka area (or within an hour or 2 drive)?

Do you really need an attorney, or is a notary sufficient? US real estate law is largely regional, so my info might not pertain to you at all.

If the title company will accept a notary, a NZ notary should be sufficient. Unfortunately, title companies (and your county, register, or who never records the deed transfer) might not be aware of treaty provisions recognizing NZ notaries, and you will find it difficult to convince them over the phone.

But I digress: A safer option would be to have the documents notarized locally, then send them to the US Consulate for authentication...except I don't see any notaries on Wanaka on the accepted list.

And yet another option would be to go the Consulate in Auckland (appointment needed, and hope an earthquake doesn't happen on the day of your appointment, as they tend to get nasty). Note: the Embassy provides no consular services; you cannot do this in Wellington. Further note: this is the US Government we are talking about. Expect nothing to go as quickly as it should. ( The next notarial appointment is on Thursday, and there's only one of those.)

In case you are still reading: $65 per signature at the Consulate for either notary or authentication of a notary. The standard charge out my way for a NZ notary is about the same. It gets mighty expensive if you are selling with a partner and you have our signatures each.

Here's a link to the Consulate: http://newzealand.usembassy.gov/notaries.html

Anyway, hope the attorney thing does work out...after reading my post it would appear to be the easier option.

Thanks for the quick response.

The title company appears to be one calling the shots (as opposed to the refinancing agent), so I don't think we have much wiggle room. I originally was hoping that a NZ notary would suffice, but they rejected that idea. They clearly stated (to the refinancing agent) that the "closing must take place either with a US attorney or at the US embassy".

So I think that means we need to either fly to Auckland, or find a "US attorney". The agent said that any US-licensed lawyer should suffice, but he will need to confirm a specific lawyer with the title company first.

I'm not too concerned about the costs per signature; what is more daunting is the idea of flying to Auckland with toddlers, which can be expensive and stressful. That's why I would love to find a US-licensed lawyer near Wanaka/Queenstown. Any idea how I can locate one, short of spamming all the lawyers around here asking if they know someone?

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    Any idea how I can locate one, short of spamming all the lawyers around here asking if they know someone?
    Actually, asking around/word of mouth might be your best bet. Maybe ask a few law firm receptionists, the local Law Society, or your nearest law school? (law schools sometimes have lawyers from overseas lecturing). The American Club? Or phone the consulate and see if they know anyone? The US embassy is on Facebook, you could ask there. Good luck!