Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a job - passive search

Question Looking for a job - passive search

Hello,
    I`m a software tester with 7 years of experience, I`m outside New Zealand and I plan to move there. I would like to find a job Before I initiate the EOI.

I am looking for a web-site / company that once I provide them with my resume/CV will forward me different jobs that they think will fit, or a web-site where New Zealand employers will have a look for potential candidates. I would need this to function in parallel with my normal active search, of course.

I already have a profile on
    * seek.co.nz (is there a way to get a link to my profile / resume from here?)
    * newkiwis.co.nz (created a profile, but I saw no way to upload the resume/CV)
    * linkedin.com (seams mediocre, not sure if New Zealand uses it since I only found 3 job offers, none matching my experience)

Are there other web-sites you would suggest? Maybe a few big recruiting agencies ?

Thank you for your time.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I similar question was posted last week. Here's my response to that http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....229#post471229

Thank you, I am familiar with your answer.
    Still, if I would be able to see interest in my resume, that will convince me that, once I get to NZ, even with no job offer, I will be able to find work there.
    Right now, I`m not convinced, and until I will be sure, I will not start the procedures.

I can understand your caution, but I'm afraid you are likely to be waiting a long time for the (NZ) world to come to you.

Here's my answer on an old thread as to why the original poster there was getting no luck when applying for jobs from outside NZ. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952

Thank you Jand, that`s pretty... sad

Well then, I guess I`ll have to read up on how NZ will support a new immigrant, what`s the Work Permit requirements and everything else. I`ll also try to contact some companies, if only to get an idea on how the labor market is.

And by the way this forum is a great source of information.

Two more question, if I may:

I have read that one should first get the "right to work in New Zealand" Before he tries to find work using seek/trademe. Is this correct? How lengthy would this process be for one who is abroad?

Thank you.

Having the right to work in New Zealand means having a visa, which takes us back to my previous answer. Many NZ job advertisements will state the requirement. That said, it's the applicants who keep on making contact with companies who eventually do get a job offer - quite simply, the ones who never apply won't get an offer, because nobody knows about them.

As to how long it takes to get a visa - it's very variable. Google 'NZ immigration (whichever) branch processing times', and you'll find their current estimate based on their recent averages. But this is only ever a guess, because working conditions in the office change unpredictably - number of applications, their complexity, staff holidays, sickness, training requirements, etc..

Firstly thank you for the swift reply.
    Secondly, yes, it makes sense.

[]

The immigration process from Romania takes about 1,5 years from the moment you submit your EOI - depending on your situation. We arrived 4 months ago from London. Wife is tester and she got a job in 1 month through Skype interview from London but we had residence visa and met the recruitment agency at ExpoNZ in London. In Auckland there are always good jobs in testing and considering your experience and level of English you'd find a job - but first get your residence visa sorted. Instead of coming to NZ go to London to Expo NZ (we've done that in 2009 before moving to London) and you will also meet Immigration NZ ..... Book yourself 3-4 days in London as the recruitment agencies will like to see you for interviews (as it happened to us). If they like you and your experience + if you have residence visa by that time - Skype interviews will follow soon and you'll pack for NZ in max 1 month with the offer in your hand.
    [Edited: Rule 2. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40236 http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....69#post455369]

Thank you for the suggestion. Along side with the so called 'passive' search I`m doing an active one too, send dozens of CVs, but 99.9% of the answers (the ones that did answer) were "we`re not accepting overseas candidates for this."
    The thing is: Once my EOI / VISA will be accepted (the EOI was submitted 3 months ago) I`ll be sure to book the first flight to NZ, because I`m confident that once I`m there I`ll be able to find a job (also the best looking jobs that fit my profile are the ones requiring the candidate to start work ASAP / or that he has a work permit in NZ - IMO it`s a conspiracy ).
    The trick is how to get the VISA without a job, and a job without a VISA

Thank you again for the input, and thumb up for this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast