Thread: shipping

Default shipping

Hi I am trying to sort out the contents of our house for shipping from the UK to NZ. I am not sure what company would be best to use....any suggestions? also the price of 20ft container as I have been told that is what will be required.
    thanks

We had quotes ranging from £3300 to £3700 for a 20' from the UK to Auckland.
    There are loads of movers, try Crown, PSS, Pickfords, Anglo Pacific for starters.

I had quotes from Anglo Pacfic, PSS and Doree Bonner for a 40ft "high cube" (4 bed house plus extra stuff from my daughters flat she had at Uni, and car is going too). Between £5600 and £5900. A 20ft would not be half of that, as some of the costs are the same irrespective of the container size.

I tried Pickfords initially, but it seemed to be too much trouble to even respond to my enquiry (took them 5 days!), and then arrange the home visit in a timely way (no appointments for a MONTH), so it was goodbye to them.

I've now whittled it down to either Anglo and PSS - purely on the basis they gave me more information, their "inventories" were more accurate, and the quotations were better tailored. Doree's were a bit amateur in comparison. It's hard to distinguish between the offer, as they all use the same packaging materials, take about the same time, - so I went on what I perceived to be their attention to detail. All three estimators/salespeople? gave a good feel about their company, and they won't be doing the packing so you can't really used that as a determinant either.

Think in the end it's going to be Anglo - both PSS and Anglo have some negative reviews (but in context not too many), but more for PSS particularly at the NZ end. And the Anglo pack was by far the most informative.

John Mason also seem to have some good press and are quite local to me, but by the time I came across them I already had 3 quotes - you can sometimes have too much choice.

Like others, I will not be getting their insurance though, will be using Letton Percival instead. 1% rather than 2.5% to 3% for the removal companies own shipping insurance, for better cover.

Thankyou for all the info...I have had britannia to give me a quote so far.. still waiting. Do Pss and Anglo do all or part of the packing? I will email both. Hope to move in September to the family.

Quote Originally Posted by s blenkiron View Post
    Do Pss and Anglo do all or part of the packing?
    Yes, they do all of the packing. They will also dismantle furniture at the UK end, but you will probably need to hire someone at the NZ end to put it back together again if you can't do it yourself.