Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to Live in Auckland Area?

Another popular place worth considering is North Shore City with several good schools. It is pretty hilly there. Expensive suburbs such as Takapuna are easy access to the beach; and Birkenhead or Devonport or Stanley Bay have breathtaking views to the Sky Tower and Harbour Bridge.

Here is the website with information about houses and schools in North Shore City : http://www.enterprisens.org.nz/live/index.html

Thanks very much for the replies so far.
    Wattle Cove seems interesting.
    I came across a property at Gulf Harbour Hibiscus coast- The property not what we are looking for as on a postage stamp but the location looks interesting- nice photos of area:- says close to Primary School, Country Club, Wentworth College
    Anyone know anything about this area?

Hello UKtoKiwi

We went through these seaside towns on our way to a friend's house in Warkworth a couple of weeks ago, and we find these places look great.

Here are some information about Hibiscus Coast (part of Rodney District).

To the north of Auckland, the Hibiscus Coast embraces the beaches of the Whangaparaoa Peninsula, the township of Orewa, the thermal area of Waiwera, the riverside community of Stillwater and the industrial settlement of Silverdale, backed by the farmlands of Wainui.

The Hibiscus Coast is just 35kms to the north of downtown Auckland via a modern motorway and has become popular with overseas travellers, New Zealand visitors, Aucklanders and locals enjoying their own surroundings. It has a population at present of little more than 28,000, supporting seven primary schools, an intermediate school and two secondary schools.

Shopping centres may be found at Gulf Harbour, Manly Village, Pacific Plaza on Whangaparaoa Peninsula, Orewa Beach and Silverdale. The area has developed rapidly over the past few years and now caters for a diverse range of interests.

Sidewalk cafes, restaurants and entertainment facilities surround the area, and of course the numerous beaches of the area all offer endless alternatives for recreational activities summer and winter.

Eight different boats ramps allow the launching of leisure craft no matter what the conditions - although we can say that we are fortunate to have an excess of beautiful weather. The Hibiscus Coast Peninsula is known to be a number of degrees warmer than the city because we have a narrow land mass surrounded by plenty of water.

Wentworth College is a private school : http://www.wentworthcollege.school.nz/index.html

Facilities
    Whangaparaoa Narrow Gauge Railway
    (09) 424 5018
    Berkley Cinemas Whangaparaoa
    (09) 428 0700
    Windows Restaurant
    (09) 424 8288
    Whangaparaoa Steam Railway (restaurant)
    (09) 424 5018
    Orange Tree Café and Bar
    (09) 428 0289

Community
    Whangaparaoa Library
    (09) 424 8205
    Whangaparaoa Medical Centre
    (09) 424 8618
    Whangaparaoa Dental Centre
    (09) 424 5294
    Coast Care Medical Centre
    (09) 427 9130
    Rodney District Council
    (09) 426 5169
    Barnardos New Zealand
    (09) 426 8040 or (09) 426 2990
    Hibiscus Coast Leisure Centre
    (09) 424 1914
    Hibiscus Coast Community House
    (09) 426 3596

Sport
    There are many sporting facilities and clubs in the area:
    Coast Dive Centre
    (09) 424 8513
    Pacific Plaza Tenpin
    (09) 428 2469
    Boats 2 Go
    (09) 424 7014
    Hibiscus Coast Association Football Club
    (09) 424 3160
    Orewa Surf Life Saving
    (09) 426 5058
    Red Beach Surf & Squash Club
    Whangaparaoa Golf Club
    Manly Boxing Gym
    (09) 424 0141
    North Shore Aero Club
    (09) 426 4273
    Raiders Rugby League Club
    (09) 424 0686
    Stillwater Boating Club

Quote Originally Posted by UktoKiwi
    Thanks very much for the replies so far.
    Wattle Cove seems interesting.
    I came across a property at Gulf Harbour Hibiscus coast- The property not what we are looking for as on a postage stamp but the location looks interesting- nice photos of area:- says close to Primary School, Country Club, Wentworth College
    Anyone know anything about this area?

Lovely but wouldn't go there unless you can work up there the road is notorious for traffic. The houses are big on tiny sections so not for us but I suppose its each to their own.

I live in Devonport and personally think its the best, I get on the ferry at night and I am home in 10 mins. Its a real village feel and we feel miles away from the city even though we can see it ! Very few modern houses mainly villas, its a heritage zone and we got a house on a full site as sub divison is restricted. Takapuna Grammar is a great school, Belmont primary is also pretty damn good although not having kids I probably shouldn't comment.

Getting a house in a good school zone ie Takapuna, EGGS, Auckland, Rangitoto college etc can add 100 k onto the price but you are getting a good education for your kids.

Michelle

Sorry to resurrect/hijack this thread - but thought it best to not start another one

We have no kids and are not too bothered about schools etc.
    We eould like nice views, as the one from our house over here is fantastic - We're looking at probably lower mid range prices - Where do you recommend in Auckland?

Somewhere like the Te Atatu peninsular has great views over to Auckland city, and the eastern suburbs have good views over to Waiheke and Rangitoto, if you go further out west to the likes of Swanson you get good mountain views of the Waitakere ranges, but a bad commute if you dont work in the west.

Hello Questor

The place to live depend very much on your work place. This is very important because the traffic here are pretty bad during the rush hours.

If you are coming here to look for a job, it is better that you start with a rental in Central Auckland. So that you could commute easily for job interviews. In fact, this is how we started when we first arrived in Auckland, looking for jobs.

hi Uktokiwi,
    I'd recommend Mt Eden, (it's the part of Auckland I think of as home so maybe I'm biased), it has a lot of the things you're looking for. Nice places to go for walks, really nice big Victorian-era houses (expensive but it sounds like that's not too much of a problem for you), good schools, lots of cafes and food shops, including really good bakeries, a big new supermarket, and close to St Lukes Mall (big & modern). Everywhere in Auckland is close to the sea but it's not too close. My parents' house has a view across the city to the Waitakere Ranges but of course the view would depend on where your house was situated.
    Happy hunting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12