Thread: Salary in Auckland

Default Salary in Auckland

Have been offered a academic job in Auckland paying $ 70,000. Can anyone provide a guidance as to what sort of standard of living this may offer. I have been to the Inland revene site and calculated tax of around $ 18000 pa and looking at rental between 350-400 per week ( say $ 1700) per month. Which should leave around $ 2600 per month. Whilst I am aware that NZ is not as cheap as popular myth suggests and it will take a while to get into budgeting in $NZ and not GBP, does this money sound OK for a family of three (2 adults one infant) ?

All advice gratefully received.

Col

Hi Colin, and welcome aboard. If you scroll down to the very bottom of the forum page, you will find a link in the right corner to the ENZ home page. Click to open and scroll down the page till you see a light blue box with the heading of "Cost of living calculator". This will allow you to work out what you may need, according to lifestyle etc. It is only a sort of rough guide, baut a good stating point.

Hi

all the cost of living calculators are OK, but I do wonder whether the info on them is up to date!!!

We were told before we came that you should double your UK salary to have an equivalent standard of life here in NZ. I thinkin reality that should probably be something like 2.25 to 2.5 times (not quite the exchange rate, but more than twice)

Grocery bills are more than the UK, but other things are similar / less. I think if somebody advised us to try to get a salary of 2.5 times it wouldn't have been such a financial shock!

I think it's a good guide line - if anyone else has an opinion chip in!

DLW

We are on double hubbys UK salary (I am no longer working, only did part time anyhow) and we can just about manage, if I went out to work, or hubbys salary increased, it would be a more comfy situation. 40% of our income goes to mortgage.

Default Salary in Auckland

Thanks for the info thus far. Doing our research it is evident looking at REALENZ that the mortgage/rent will be the big difference. It will rise from around 25 % of disposable income in the UK to around 40 per cent in NZ. To be honest we are expecting to struggle until we adjust to new price levels etc. However as we dont face removal expenses (the employer is paying these as well as hotel when we arrive for a month) we intened to use our savings to cushion us during the adjustment period.