Thread: confusion over SMC processing times - is it a contradiction on INZ website (or me being dim?!)

Question confusion over SMC processing times - is it a contradiction on INZ website (or me being dim?!)

Possibly panicking over nothing, but we had previously downloaded a chart showing processing times for each INZ office detailing processing times for applications.

We are heading over to NZ (all being well) in SMC category without job offers (yet). The chart for the London office says that applications are acknowledged within 14 days, and then a case officer is allocated within 3 weeks, then your application can take between 1 and 3 months from that point to process, assuming it is complete etc.

Then, last night, I came across this... "After you submit your application to the London branch your application will be allocated to an immigration officer. The allocation time for an SMC application submitted without a job offer varies depending on workflows. Your application will be placed in a managed queue and allocated to an immigration officer within four to six months." (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ssingtimes.htm)

So now I am very worried as that would suggest it's going to take way longer than we had planned for...

Am I misunderstanding something fundamental, or is the 4-6 months quoted referring to the total processing time from ITA to approval?

Obviously there will be peaks and troughs of applications and that is understandable. I just need to be clear if I am looking at an October 2013 departure from UK or Spring 2014 departure...

Any advice most welcome.
    Liz F-C

You CAN'T be clear about when you will be able to go. All timings mentioned by any INZ office are totally elastic, I'm afraid. The 'processing times' pages are guesses based on the average of how things have recently been going for them.

Here's a post on an old thread going over the sequence of events that will happen to your application after selection. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....690#post450690 And here's another about the wait before a CO is allocated. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....979#post455979 These may help show why there is variation in the whole system, and nobody can promise anything.

Can I just add to JandM`s reply, applications WITH a job offer take priority over those without.

Thanks Both, I guess we are in the lap of the Gods then, (so much for my control freakish planning ahead).

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Don View Post
    Can I just add to JandM`s reply, applications WITH a job offer take priority over those without.
    I second that. These timeframes look like job offer timeframes, not those without. But ultimately it all depends on how busy the branch is at any given time