Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Language Problem

Default Language Problem

After assessment of ITA, CO asked me to submit IELTS over all Band 6.5 and CO informed me that if I did not submit within that time frame, my application will be declined through during submitting ITA, I informed that , I did my four year Bachelor of Engineering from a university where medium of instruction was only English and my postgraduate from a foreign university, where medium of instruction was only English.

I sat for IELTS exam but I did not get overall 6.5 at a time, however I got 6.5 each module in two separate Exams as follow:

Listening Reading Writing Speaking Overall
    5.5 6.5 6.5 5.5 6.0
    6.5 5.5 5.5 6.5 6.0

Though I did not achieve the overall score 6.5 at a time but I got separately 6.5 in every module which is proved that I have ability to speak, read, write and listen in English which I informed to CO.

CO informed that the score is below the requirement and they will assess my application and inform me as I am not fulfill the basic requirement and he will not consider my medium of instruction as a English proficiency.
    Apart from this, I am working in a multinational Company for last 5 years where all the meetings, work emails and working environment are in English IELTS result.
    Anybody have any suggestion, about this. What Should I can do?

I wonder, did you submit evidence to your CO of having taken degree courses where English was the sole medium of instruction, and/or of working in an English-speaking environment?

If you did, what reason did the CO give for requiring you to submit an IELTS score?

The reason I'm asking is that the INZ operational manual states this.

Note: Full consideration must be given to all evidence of English language ability provided before a decision to request an IELTS certificate under SM5.5 (d) is made. If an IELTS certificate is requested the reason(s) behind the decision must be clearly documented and conveyed to the applicant.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41495.htm

Thanks for your replay. Yes, I submitted all the necessary documents of medium instruction with my ITA application.

But after assessment he informed that accordingly:
    Full consideration has been given to the information provided pertaining to your qualifications, work experience and other background information. It has been concluded as a result of this assessment that with the information on hand it is not possible to conclusively establish if your English language ability is equivalent to an IELTS level of 6.5. Under the provisions of SM5.5 you are required to submit an IELTS test report to enable us to assess whether you meet the minimum policy requirements under the Skilled Migrant Category policy. The reason for requesting an IELTS certificate is so that your English ability to speak, read, write and listen can be tested by an impartial authority, qualified to test English language. Please refer to the instructions SM5.5
    Last edited by tahmid; 6th February 2013 at 08:45 AM.

Then you are required to submit the IELTS and achieve a 6.5 average score. There is no way to argue with this.

Hi thamid

Sorry to hear you are stuck providing evidence of your English skills. I had the same argument with the Midwifery Council of Australia.
    Which level of the IELTS did you do? I found the Academic Level extremely hard, and even Irish people who sat the test with me thought that.

As far as I know, immigration does not require academic level. General level would do.
    http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1008

There also is a veriety of websites out there that prepare you pretty well for the IELTS. They do cost and you only have a limited amount of time access to the training programme but I have to say they are very very good. I wouldn't have managed to pass the test without.
    I used this one but as I said, ther is plenty others out there:

http://www.scottsenglish.com/ielts/?...FQFP4QodpWcAQw

Good luck!

Hanna

Sorry to hear that, if it helps Australia has a way harder conditions. IELTS at least 7 in every four parts, they really check your employer from the bottom to the top, have at least 5 years experiences, master degree ...I wonder who the hell get this kind of results. But overall Australia has also higher standard than NZ.

6.5 overall should not be hard to obtain. However, do you get an extra points if you get overall 7 or 8?

I wouldn't say that's all correct.
    I guess it all depends what line of work you are trying to get into. Registration for Professional qualification for midwives requires the same level in the IELTS test results in New Zealand than it does in Australia which was 7. Not every type of work requires 5 years experience. Australia was happy with 2 when I inquired.

I think I remember immigration in Australia required a level of 7 in each of the four test components for Skilled Employer Sponsored Workers. They waved that last year for people that can prove having lived and worked in an English speaking country for the previous five years.

New Zealand requires an overall test score of 6.5. for the Skilled Migrant Category/Expression of interest. I believe they don't necessarily want an IELTS result if you go on a regular working visa, sponsored by an employer. I assume the immigration officer assesses your English skills during the process of your visa application and might still ask for one anyway.

Have you ever sat the IELTS yourself Mike1987?

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1987 View Post
    Sorry to hear that, if it helps Australia has a way harder conditions. IELTS at least 7 in every four parts, they really check your employer from the bottom to the top, have at least 5 years experiences, master degree ...I wonder who the hell get this kind of results. But overall Australia has also higher standard than NZ.

6.5 overall should not be hard to obtain. However, do you get an extra points if you get overall 7 or 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1987 View Post

Higher standard in what- everything?
    Yes, out of pure curiosity, have you ever sat the IELTS ?

Quote Originally Posted by tahmid View Post
    Listening Reading Writing Speaking Overall
    5.5 6.5 6.5 5.5 6.0
    6.5 5.5 5.5 6.5 6.0
    From your two results above it clearly demonstrate that you can achieve average of 6.5 . All you need is more discipline in your test and probably some pre test coaching ..try online scott English training for IETLS.
    I would recommend to send both the transcript to INZ and show them that independent body IELTS does not have a very robust and accurate measurements of English skill as your two results show that you could do different if you take two exams in short time. And since you did manage to individually get different band each on each tests, .extra time be given to you to re try IELTS exame and get desired results as it clearly shows that its exame base result s vary ....

Ps try both academic and general and see if you manage to get through with one of them on average of 6.5.
    Academic writing is structure writing and its easier to get higher score .if you train for it.
    Last edited by shawankit; 6th February 2013 at 05:07 PM.

I truly believe it would be a complete waste of time to argue with the INZ official about the old IELTS scores. Their instructions do not allow them to make an independent decision on this point. For each applicant, the CO has to see one of a number of possible proofs of English, and in this case, it has come down to just the one which will let him/her tick it off - an up-to-date IELTS with a minimum 6.5 average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast