Thread: I Suppose This Could Happen Anywhere, but...

Default I Suppose This Could Happen Anywhere, but...

Some of you might have read the news of the collapse of Mainzeal Property & Construction yesterday -- NZ's third-largest builder.

Well, as someone who's been affected by this, I'm wondering how I could offer any advice to someone who's looking for work in this industry, and the short answer is, I can't. There were no warning signs that I could see -- much less any that someone overseas could have picked up. I suppose that there were some hints of lingering fallout from the leaky buildings crisis in the press, but nothing recent.

There are a LOT of people in my office who are on employer-sponsored work visas, and the company had no answers for them today when they asked what would happen to their employment eligibility.

So, I suppose my advice would be to convert to PR as soon as you can, because if something like this were to happen to you, at least that would be one thing you wouldn't have to worry about.

Looking at the press in Christchurch it looks like Fletcher's etc. may be looking mop up these contracts. I would hope that there is a chance that some of the Mainzeal employees will also be taken on. It looks like a right mess! Thoughts go to all working on work visas. I hope that you get some news soon.

All the best to all of you.

To clarify, I have PR, so don't have that worry, at least. I feel bad for those who don't, as they've enough other things to concern them.