Thread: After arrival in NZ for the first time?

Default After arrival in NZ for the first time?

Can anyone briefly describe thing to do after arrival in NZ for the 1st time?
    Which bank to open an A/c or which bank has more ATM's all over NZ?
    Which internet service provider to use for better service?
    Which mobile ph service provider to opt for better reception and cheaper call rates to Asian countries?

Quote Originally Posted by zednic20 View Post
    Can anyone briefly describe thing to do after arrival in NZ for the 1st time?
    Which bank to open an A/c or which bank has more ATM's all over NZ?
    Which internet service provider to use for better service?
    Which mobile ph service provider to opt for better reception and cheaper call rates to Asian countries?
    No idea about calls to Asian countries, sorry.
    Lots of banks to choose from. We went with Westpac, you can open a migrant account on line before you get here.
    www.westpac.co.nz
    ASB have been good to us(for mortgage), also BNZ have a lot of branches. I am sure people with come up with others.
    We used Telstra Clear for internet/telephone and got rubbish service and signals and we have changed to Telecom, so far so good.

When you arrive take your passport and go to bank(they want to see passport before releasing funds, giving you a card etc), look for a rental car and then go car shop, car insurance, arrange rental(presuming staying in motel etc), take a deep breath and relax!

thanks hagabel

Quote Originally Posted by zednic20 View Post
    thanks hagabel
    No worries!

Telecoms broadband/land-line is quite good and fast although it is expensive if you factor in usage. If you are a heavy internet user, then Orcon's unlimited broadband plan would suit you more. As for mobile we used Vodaphone but on prepaid usage so we only pay for calls/texts we need. It works for us. If you are looking to calls overseas specifically to Malaysia, then I am afraid the rates are expensive as there is not enough volume to justify a lower cost. You will find that Skype is the best option, whether you are using their mobile phone or video-calling.

My advice - open a bank account. I did Westpac migrant banking too, VERY easy and found them very helpful - unlike Kiwibank, which my wife (a NZer) had for 10 years - yet they didn't want to know, credit cards, visa cards etc. were impossible, as is their customer services.

Mobile phone - if you're anywhere near a city, Two Degrees all the way. Cheapest calls, texts and data (although they have forced the prices of Voda and Telecom down), and if you have a device, get a sim only. They are also by far the cheapest if you call overseas numbers or texts from your mobile.

Landline - I got a Sky package with Voda, easy to install, use, more than enough data on unlimited plan.

Car - do your research before you come, trade me a good guide for prices. Remember, a dealer won't typically have service history for cars and virtually all are imports. Advise a dealer though as you get a warranty (unless you know a lot about cars). Although most are truly revolting vehicles, going Japanese is the best bet as cheaper to run and service usually. Some acceptable cars, Subaru Legacy Estates a good allrounder.

Tax - Remember to register with IRD for a tax number. You can do it at branches of the AA, but no longer from abroad before you arrive. Many employers won't take you without one.