Thread: Query regarding Interview

Default Query regarding Interview

Dear members,

My telephonic interview is coming up next week. I have gone through most of the questions on ENZ and preparing myself for interview. I want suggestions on following question from Jandm and fellow members:

What will you do if you do not get a job in your field/chosen career?

I belong to ICT industry and I am programmer. Programmers are highest in demand in New Zealand in IT industry according to Absolute IT recent survey and employers are going to recruit programmers most in 2013. So, what I am going to say if this question comes up in interview is that I am programmer and programmers are highest in demand and I am carrying money to survive for one year. so I am positive to get a job in my field. If in case i would not get a job quickly i am willing to step down junior level in my field. My point is I am willing to do any job as long as it is in ICT to start my career in NZ. Also, I am cosidering volunteering in IT as well.

or should I be more flexible and say I am willing to do any sort of job in any industry like retail until I find a job in my preferred occupation. I am positive to get a job quickly because of my experience and qualification in my field though.

Regards

No, don't give the second answer. The whole point of the SMC programme is for them to get people to use a rare skill in the NZ labour market - the CO will be wanting to hear that you will be using the skill you have proved on your ITA. Your first answer is saying this - doing whatever it takes to get a first IT job in NZ. Another possible angle is to look for IT jobs with a wider range of employers than the obvious, in other words, perhaps if necessary taking your IT skills into commerce or industry.

I think what you've written here is a very good answer. It shows you've done research about your area of expertise and you have realistic expectations. If I were to suggest anything it would be to consider social networking options. There are local IT groups on meetup.com that get together periodically. They could be a good way to get in the right circles for when a new it role comes open. Networking is important in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Suejoon View Post
    Programmers are highest in demand in New Zealand in IT industry according to Absolute IT recent survey and employers are going to recruit programmers most in 2013. So, what I am going to say if this question comes up in interview is that I am programmer and programmers are highest in demand and I am carrying money to survive for one year. so I am positive to get a job in my field. If in case i would not get a job quickly i am willing to step down junior level in my field. My point is I am willing to do any job as long as it is in ICT to start my career in NZ. Also, I am cosidering volunteering in IT

Quote Originally Posted by Azkateaz View Post
    I think what you've written here is a very good answer. It shows you've done research about your area of expertise and you have realistic expectations. If I were to suggest anything it would be to consider social networking options. There are local IT groups on meetup.com that get together periodically. They could be a good way to get in the right circles for when a new it role comes open. Networking is important in New Zealand.
    Dear Azkateaz,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I just joined few ICT groups on meet up.

Thanks and regards

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No, don't give the second answer. The whole point of the SMC programme is for them to get people to use a rare skill in the NZ labour market - the CO will be wanting to hear that you will be using the skill you have proved on your ITA. Your first answer is saying this - doing whatever it takes to get a first IT job in NZ. Another possible angle is to look for IT jobs with a wider range of employers than the obvious, in other words, perhaps if necessary taking your IT skills into commerce or industry.
    Dear JandM,
    Thanks once again for your help and guidance. When you say look for IT jobs with a wider range of employers than obvious that means looking for IT jobs in other industries like Banking, Retail, Telecommunication or something else.
    Regards

hey guys this is a generic question and would like to know points to elaborate.

What do you think about the impact of migrants on the socio-economic balance of New Zealand and the wider South West Pacific basin?

Suejoon, yes, that's what I meant. You could try looking for jobs in companies whose main business is not IT, but they use IT.

zednic20, it's asking you what YOU think. You could try looking at such sources as stuff.co.nz and the NZ Herald online, to find articles showing the preoccupations of NZ residents with regard to migrants - that might help show that you are giving some consideration to making a positive contribution.