Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is best for retiring, New Zealand or UK?

Default Which is best for retiring, New Zealand or UK?

I've not thought much about this before. Talking just now with the OH, we just started wondering about the pros and cons.

If anyone out there has looked into it already, what have you found out about the advantages of one compared to the other?

Ta.

Depends on you as an individual. Have you been to NZ? Do you have family over here? How does the cost of living compare? I understand things over here are somewhat more expensive(from expat friends of mine from UK). And can you meet the medical and other requirements for residency?

Sorry, not a lot of help but just trying to raise some points for you to consider.

You dont mention your situation, are you entitled to a UK pension, or an NZ pension? If it is a Uk pension the UK Govt in its wisdom will pay your pension in NZ, but will not pay any increases after you leave the country so that the amount you get on the day you leave will be the amount you receive for the rest of your life. The same applies to Aussie, SA, and Canada, However anywhere else in the world you will get your increases as usual. They have been taken to the UK court and the European court over this. Just something to bear in mind.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2KZJEBU7s

However, you are likely to be entitled to have the NZ government top up what you get from the UK state pension to the level of NZ superannuation (their equivalent to a state pension), which is for most people more than you'd get if you had the full UK state pension anyway. And be aware that what Gran said is JUST about the state pension, not about any job-related pension you have the right to. Here's an old thread where people were discussing this. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20731

Just one other point........if you go back to the UK for a minimum of a 3 month visit you can apply for the upgrade to the current pension at the time.......we have been in NZ for 4 years and plan to go back for such a visit next year so hubby can get his state pension upgraded to current level.

Quote Originally Posted by catt View Post
    Just one other point........if you go back to the UK for a minimum of a 3 month visit you can apply for the upgrade to the current pension at the time.......we have been in NZ for 4 years and plan to go back for such a visit next year so hubby can get his state pension upgraded to current level.
    That's worth knowing, though they may have changed things by the time we get to NZ and then retire.

If you were to ignore the financials and presume they were consistent (i.e. you could achieve the same renumeration in either area), I'd have to say that the best country would be the UK, if you're from the UK originally.

More healthcare and treatment options, more things to do in retirement, cheaper things to buy, and don't underestimate the support of family; imagine if one partner died, and you're stuck in NZ in a retirement home on your own, too ill to fly! Nightmare!

imagine if one partner died, and you're stuck in NZ in a retirement home on your own, too ill to fly! Nightmare!
    But you might have been in NZ for decades before that happened, and have a whole friendship network. (The 'widowed and invalid' situation can't be good wherever and whenever it sets in.)

I'm not near retirement age, nor will I ever be in a place financially where I might be able to retire...

But one thing I have noticed here is that once you don't drive a car anymore, you are very limited in what you can do, where you can go, etc. For example, there would not be a bus to take my 85 year old self from the house I live in at the moment to the doctor I am currently enrolled in. And from my in-laws house to the bus stop is a considerable walk up hill.

When I first got here, I was surprised to see the number of old people driving, and often people I think shouldn't be driving anymore (I know that there are basic checks once you are over 80), and maybe wouldn't if they had an option. But I understand that your mobility is far more restricted than for example where we lived in London (buses, corner shops, supermarkets closer, GP practices, etc).

My partner has this dream of being an active, outdoorsy retiree, of which we know many here. I think that will work as long as you can drive.

Just something I noticed here.

Daniela

That's just the same as living in a country area in the UK. We live in a small town with few facilities - try to find out about getting anywhere else by public transport, for a particular timed appointment e.g. one of the bigger centres where there's a hospital, and you find out how limited your options would be, carless. It's all very well giving bus passes, but when there isn't a bus, unless you go the previous day...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast