Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community Services card

Default Community Services card

On advise of NZ citizens I applied for a community services card and just got it. On it there are certain subsidized services. I was wondering if it would be ok for me to use these services should I require them during my first two years in New Zealand. I don't want to do anything that could jeopardize my permanent residence here. People who have advised me to get this card have been here from decades and may not know what is in my best interest.

Please advise

Are u PR card holder then ur eligible to use community service card.
    http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/ind...ices-card.html

This MAY be one of the cases where a different NZ government department has not changed their information since INZ changed the names of visas, that is, the first visa upon acceptance under SMC is now Residence, not PR. But as there isn't a date on that link, it's not possible to tell. However, there is a 'contact us' link off that page, so I suggest you ask the Work and Income people for clarification.

A further thought - what proof of your status did you have to show before being granted the card? If someone official saw your passport, that would tend to prove you've got every right to use what you've been given.

If I see her this week I will ask my sister-in-law who works for WINZ... I am under the impression most services through them require you to have lived in New Zealand for at least 2 years at some point (e.g. my wife is entitled to services, I am not).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This MAY be one of the cases where a different NZ government department has not changed their information since INZ changed the names of visas, that is, the first visa upon acceptance under SMC is now Residence, not PR. But as there isn't a date on that link, it's not possible to tell. However, there is a 'contact us' link off that page, so I suggest you ask the Work and Income people for clarification.

A further thought - what proof of your status did you have to show before being granted the card? If someone official saw your passport, that would tend to prove you've got every right to use what you've been given.
    Yes they looked and took copies of my resident visa. And the card says that it is valid from the date that it was issued. When I had gone to the gym for membership they had advised getting a community card for a discount. I am just wondering if using the card for services like these would not jeopardize my residency status.

According to your statement yes of course if they took proofs of my residency status then why shouldn't I have every right to use what I have been given.

How do you get a community services card? Is it tied to low income?

Quote Originally Posted by nativecolo View Post
    Who can get it

You may get the Community Services Card if you are:
    - 18 years old or over (or 16-17 years old in full-time tertiary study)
    - on a low to middle income (the amount depends on your family situation)
    - a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.

You should also normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here.

You may also get the card if you have refugee or protection status or have applied for refugee or protection status.
    http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/ind...ices-card.html

Quote Originally Posted by nativecolo View Post
    Actually I am not sure. Even though it says in the following link that it is for middle to low income, I don't remember being asked in the application on my income or employment status though I am currently unemployed.

I am also thinking now that even though I applied for it and got it without any misinterpretations, maybe still it would not be ok to use it for personal gain like discounts, etc. In case they look at that when granting my permanent residency, it might be a problem.
    Last edited by kramvi; 11th February 2013 at 11:50 AM.

This http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm is what they look at when about to grant PR. These are the criteria it goes by.

If the authorities have seen your visa and approved your grant of the card, *I think* it is safe to assume you can use all the facilities accessed by the card. If still in doubt, ask INZ and/or WINZ.

My kids have commumity service cards and they are entitled to use them. We have been here less than 2 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast