Thread: UK Magistrate (JP) - transferable to NZ?

Default UK Magistrate (JP) - transferable to NZ?

I approached the NZ JP's association with this question a few weeks ago but they haven't responded. If anyone has any advice I'd be most grateful.

I have been a JP in the UK for 7 years. I'd like to be able to do something similar in NZ but I don't know if I'd need additional training.

In the UK, magistrates give their time freely - many people think we are highly paid but sadly not! I can't seem to establish if this is or isn't the case in NZ.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Did you find this page of information? http://www.jpfed.org.nz/Becoming+a+JP.html

As NZ is a totally separate country with its own laws, I rather doubt that having been a JP in the UK would allow you to short-circuit any of the NZ procedure for getting appointed, although it certainly might make a favourable impression when you initially apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz F-C View Post
    In the UK, magistrates give their time freely - many people think we are highly paid but sadly not! I can't seem to establish if this is or isn't the case in NZ.
    It is an unpaid position here, as well...though you can collect money for performing marriages.

JPs here sign certified copies for free and therefore perform a valuable role! I have used three since being here, 2 of which were actually from the UK originally.
    Re your enquiry - I would just get back in touch with them as if it was a few weeks ago it could perhaps have been during the long Christmas/summer break - lots of people take a fair amount of time off in December and January. And sometimes they are a bit slack at answering emails too...

Ooh you're all very helpful as usual, thank you. I think it would be great to be able to continue to do interesting voluntary work in NZ - this is all assuming INZ approve us which is going to be a long way off since we don't submit our ITA until tomorrow - just got to collect the blood test results then it's off to the Post Office, clutch of lovingly prepared and carefully ordered paperwork in hand!

I think some of my original confusion arose from a JP friend here who hails originally from NZ - her situation was basically the reverse of mine a couple of decades ago, and things are bound to have changed in that time.

Many thanks again.