Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: parent category- english language requirement

Default parent category- english language requirement

Hi All,

If a NZ resident/PR is sponsoring his parents for NZ PR, will both the parents need to fulfill the IELTS english language requirements.
    Or need only the principal applicant fulfill the english language needs?

thanks in advance!

F4.15 English language requirements for the Parent Category

F4.15.1 Minimum standard of English

Applications under the Parent Category must be declined if any applicant included in the application has not met the minimum standard of English or the requirements to pre-purchase English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) tuition.
    Applicants under the Parent Category meet the minimum standard of English if they:
    provide a Test Report Form (no more than two years old at the time the application is lodged) from
    the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) that shows they meet at least two competencies of level 4 or above; or
    provide other evidence that satisfies an immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English (see SM5.5(c)(iii)); or
    satisfy the requirements of SM5.10(b)(i) or (iii); or
    are citizens of Samoa who have applications assessed under the Parent Category at the Apia Immigration New Zealand (INZ) branch and, after an interview, satisfy an immigration officer that they have sufficient English language ability.
    When applying (b)(iv) above, the interviewing immigration officer determines if applicants meet the minimum English language requirement by assessing whether they are able to:
    read English; and
    understand and respond to questions in English; and
    maintain an English language conversation about themselves, their family or their background.
    In any case in terms of (b) above, an immigration officer may require any or each applicant to provide an IELTS certificate. In such cases, the IELTS certificate will be used to determine whether the applicant meets the minimum standard of English.

Default Evidence

Quote Originally Posted by russel_705 View Post
    F4.15 English language requirements for the Parent Category

Applications under the Parent Category must be declined if any applicant included in the application has not met the minimum standard of English or the requirements to pre-purchase English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) tuition.
    Applicants under the Parent Category meet the minimum standard of English if they:
    provide a Test Report Form (no more than two years old at the time the application is lodged) from
    the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) that shows they meet at least two competencies of level 4 or above; or
    provide other evidence that satisfies an immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English (see SM5.5(c)(iii)); or
    satisfy the requirements of SM5.10(b)(i) or (iii); or
    are citizens of Samoa who have applications assessed under the Parent Category at the Apia Immigration New Zealand (INZ) branch and, after an interview, satisfy an immigration officer that they have sufficient English language ability.
    When applying (b)(iv) above, the interviewing immigration officer determines if applicants meet the minimum English language requirement by assessing whether they are able to:
    read English; and
    understand and respond to questions in English; and
    maintain an English language conversation about themselves, their family or their background.
    In any case in terms of (b) above, an immigration officer may require any or each applicant to provide an IELTS certificate. In such cases, the IELTS certificate will be used to determine whether the applicant meets the minimum standard of English.
    Not sure if we have done the right thing but we have provided copies of educational course/exam studied in English to prove our standard of English for both the principle applicant and wife. We are both born and educated in England and we were not sure what to provide

Thanks. So does both the applicant under parent category need to fulfill the english language requirements or will one of them doing so suffice the criteria?

The answer is in that quote.

So each person has to EITHER meet the English requirement, OR pre-purchase ESOL tuition. The minimum English requirement is to get at least two IELTS scores of level 4 or above.

As the above immigration instruction mentions any applicant must meet the English requirements, so both parents need to prove their English competency.

Thanks for that. And do both parents also need to present financial evidence for the parent category migration?

Quote Originally Posted by rv1103 View Post
    Thanks for that. And do both parents also need to present financial evidence for the parent category migration?
    We are applying under parent category...i have send financial info for us both since most money is in joint names, bank acc. house etc. hubby has separate pension income. so i would say send all details related to both of them...good luck

If I am about to apply EOI for my both parents do I need to pre-purchase the ESOL now or wait till EOI is accepted?

Is there any pre-condition for pre-purchasing the ESOL tuition? What is expected cost when both parents do not speak English at all?

Do I need still need to pre-purchase the ESOL tuition if I apply for a visitor category visa for my parents?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast