Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Company Ireland - NZ Recommendations?

Default Shipping Company Ireland - NZ Recommendations?

Hello Everybody

It's that time now, we have to get started to organise the shipping of our stuff. I had already requested quotes from shipping companies a few weeks ago. At that point we wanted someone who would do the whole package: Packing, collecting, storage, insurance, shipping, customs, delivery to new place.

When we got the first quotes and realised how much money is involved, we started looking into other options. Seeing that I am off work now I could do the packing myself. We are not taking any furniture with us anyway so there is nothing to disassemble. I am ready to get new quotes now, for storage, shipping, insurance only. I am still reading up on it but I feel there is a way to clear customs ourselves in New Zealand and collection should not be a problem as we move to Timaru which has a big habour.
    We will be traveling prior to arrival in New Zealand so storage on Irish ground is needed in order to avoid storage fees at Timaru port.

Is there any Irish/people that moved from Ireland that can give advise?
    How did you go about it, what did you ship (size) and what service did you use at what costs?
    Which company did you go with and were you satisfied with them?
    Any trouble we could run into, dealing with customs/biosecurity in New Zealand?

Any tips and advise are very welcome.

Hanna

Well Hanna this is what I found searching from NZ. here is a co. in Ireland that will sell you a container,
    http://www.buyandsell.ie/building-co...iners-for-sale
    Here is a co. in Ireland who will deliver it to NZ for you.
    http://www.aaeconomyfreight.com/
    Obviously I dont know anything about costs etc. you would have to do your own packing.

All the best
    Gran

Hi and good luck with your shipping. We shipped from NI about 2 yrs ago and went for the full package service which included them doing all the packaging, although to be honest we could have done it ourselves with the same outcome. In terms of What to bring, you'll find it very very expensive to replace furniture here, personally I'd take everything you can and then more, I wish I'd done more shopping!! the range is nowhere near the same your used to in Ireland and very expensive for quite cheaply made furniture. from recollection it cost us about £4500 which included insurance.te only problem we had was they kept putting the shipping date back and didn't notify us resulting in our stuff leaving Ireland the same weekend we didn't which ultimately resulted us buying garden furniture and sitting on that for 2 months!!! Prob wouldn't recommend them. also I did a huge clean out before we came, got rid of lots of clothing that was from previous seasons that would still be considered current here!!! So if I had to do it again I wouldn't get rid of anything. With regards MAF, others will advise but for us they were most interested in work tools, garden stuff etc. You will need to give your stuff a good clean including all your shoes, they are quite strict coming into the country.

Ohhh Starkus71! You are putting thoughts into my head of wild shopping trips to IKEA Thank you fro your input!

I know New Zealand doesn't have IKEA. I suffered greatly from withdrawal symptoms when I moved from Germany, where I grew up in IKEA furniture, to Ireland in 2007 where the only one was located in Belfast at the time I moved to Dublin. Long drive.
    Now that the Dublin one is established for the last 2 years I am moving to the next country without one!!!

We don't really have any furniture as we are renting a furnished house. So I kind of feel it makes no sense to go on a shopping spree. I know New Zealand is expensive in many ways but from what I could research online, furniture is not too dear compared to RI prices.

I just recently completed my Le Creuset collection and German Bavaria plate set as I know those things are expensive/difficult or impossible to get in New Zealand. I think I like to keep my options open to re-create/re-invent my living environment with what is available from the area I will be living in. I know of the annoyance though when you know what you are looking for but can't get it due to a different shop variety.

Cleaning outdoor equipment is a good point. My partners bike tools and our bicycles would fall under that category.

How much did you end up shipping (volume) sounds like this was a full container?
    What was the name of the company (just to know so we won't book them )

Quote Originally Posted by Starkus71 View Post
    Hi and good luck with your shipping. We shipped from NI about 2 yrs ago and went for the full package service which included them doing all the packaging, although to be honest we could have done it ourselves with the same outcome. In terms of What to bring, you'll find it very very expensive to replace furniture here, personally I'd take everything you can and then more, I wish I'd done more shopping!! the range is nowhere near the same your used to in Ireland and very expensive for quite cheaply made furniture. from recollection it cost us about £4500 which included insurance.te only problem we had was they kept putting the shipping date back and didn't notify us resulting in our stuff leaving Ireland the same weekend we didn't which ultimately resulted us buying garden furniture and sitting on that for 2 months!!! Prob wouldn't recommend them. also I did a huge clean out before we came, got rid of lots of clothing that was from previous seasons that would still be considered current here!!! So if I had to do it again I wouldn't get rid of anything. With regards MAF, others will advise but for us they were most interested in work tools, garden stuff etc. You will need to give your stuff a good clean including all your shoes, they are quite strict coming into the country.

Thank you Gran!

We won't need a full container, I don't think. We are shipping only boxes, no furniture.
    I have contacted the company from the second link you suggested. Will wait and see what they come up with.

hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Gran View Post
    Well Hanna this is what I found searching from NZ. here is a co. in Ireland that will sell you a container,
    http://www.buyandsell.ie/building-co...iners-for-sale
    Here is a co. in Ireland who will deliver it to NZ for you.
    http://www.aaeconomyfreight.com/
    Obviously I dont know anything about costs etc. you would have to do your own packing.

All the best
    Gran

Here's an old thread about cleaning which may be of some help. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34791

The government agency formerly known as MAF is now (quite recently) known as MAFBNZ, part of the MPI - just in case anyone gets any communications with the new acronyms on.

Thank you JandM!
    It will certainly help

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Here's an old thread about cleaning which may be of some help. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34791

The government agency formerly known as MAF is now (quite recently) known as MAFBNZ, part of the MPI - just in case anyone gets any communications with the new acronyms on.

We shipped 1/2 container. Pretty much the contents of a 3 bedrooms house, we were told that if your stuff can fit snugly into a standard garage then 1/2 is enough but any more than that would need to be a full size. Guess it depends on your definition of expensive,, we were home recently and looked at a corner sofa (which I soooo regret not buying before we come out) and the corner, cuddle chair (which are hard to find here for some reason) plus the footstool was coming in a little under 1500sterling. We looked a some in the Harvey Norman sale last weekend, and aside from not finding anything I liked a cheap looking corner sofa only was about $3500nz/£1700 not including the chair or footstool. I must admit I'm seriously tempted 2 ship as I still think it would be cheaper!! Briscoes seem to have a constant sale over here but again compared to the price of kitchen stuff in Tescos, they are bloody expensive!! I'd say sod it have a bit of a blow out if your planning on staying any reasonable time.

You got us thinking now Starkus71.

We got a quote yesterday for a full container (which we won't need I don't think) for 2500€ (shipping only, we have to deliver and pick up). He also explained that half a container will not be half of the price as handling fees will apply to re-load containers, when changing ships, which is reduced if only the container changes ships but doesn't need to be unpacked. He will come out and have a look at our stuff. A friend of us who just recently moved to Christchurch used him and was very happy.

I have been doing a bit of research regarding furnishing in NZ and found it a little expensive as you say. I cannot really make a statement about the quality of course. Seeing that you are not the first one advising us to bring as much as possible, we are actually considering bringing the most important/versatile/needed bits like a bed, mattress, table, chairs etc. Still not convinced about a sofa yet It is easier to decide what you need when you know where you live and what the given space in the rooms is like. But we'll have a look around and see if we can find something that is adaptive, like a corner sofa where we could change from one side to the other etc.

We have to let that thought sink in. We might have to change our minds about moving with as little as possible. What makes it weird is that we don't have any of the needed furnishing as we are renting furnished atm. We will actually have to go out and buy it now! It just feels wrong

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna MW View Post

I have been doing a bit of research regarding furnishing in NZ and found it a little expensive as you say. I cannot really make a statement about the quality of course. Seeing that you are not the first one advising us to bring as much as possible, we are actually considering bringing the most important/versatile/needed bits like a bed, mattress, table, chairs etc. Still not convinced about a sofa yet It is easier to decide what you need when you know where you live and what the given space in the rooms is like. But we'll have a look around and see if we can find something that is adaptive, like a corner sofa where we could change from one side to the other etc.

We have to let that thought sink in. We might have to change our minds about moving with as little as possible. What makes it weird is that we don't have any of the needed furnishing as we are renting furnished atm. We will actually have to go out and buy it now! It just feels wrong
    Everyone is totally right about the cost of furniture (and food) here, so it's definitely worth bringing everything you've got. However, if you do decide to go and do a big shop before coming you might want to be a bit careful that you don't leave everything in it's new boxes as it may be taxed upon entry here by Customs. Having said that we brought quite a few new smaller Ikea things over that we sprinkled amongst our stuff and it was fine. Also - our MPI (MAF) officer was from Timaru and he was the nicest official I've met. Was only looking for dirt, seeds, grass, insects, eggs etc on the outdoor equipment and was fine with a bit of rust. We only gave our stuff a scrub down on the day of packing with disinfectant etc and it was all okay. Don't advise leaving it to the last minute like us though - stress city!

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast