Thread: Is there any angles out there?

Question Is there any angles out there?

Well hello lads and lasses! I come begging for angles and information. So I guess this is where I start my story…

Ive just turned 30 and from Ireland and got to NZ on the 12th of july 2012 and found work which didn’t start until the start of January in I.T. Ive been working on this EOI for about 3 weeks now trying to get everything right but it would seem I only qualify for 110 points due to my qualifications and im finding it hard to find an angle to work at.

I went to college and studied Comptia A+ and Network + but as far as I can ascertain, it is only seen as a cert? I have full time employment and loving working and living here! I have read that someone has said the EOI pool under 140 hasn’t been pulled in over 2 months? So if I was to apply with the 110 points am I screwed? Should i get involved with an immigration lawyer?

Is there anything my employers can do? They have just sent me on a 3 day windows 7 course that cost them 2 grand so they seem to like me and I feel like im stuck between a rock and a hard place. Ive no real idea what route to go down and with 5 months left on my current WHV im at the ‘start to get worried’ stage.

Free beer for any advice or help! Would be super appreciated!

Regards,

Alan

Hi Alan

Im no expert ( just posted my own problem thread ) but if you look at the EOI results, its taken every two weeks and theres almost always a large percentage ( 10-30 % ) that fall under this category: All those with a job or job offer that had a points total of 100 or more but less than 140 points.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ormation/news/

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the reply! This is a bit reassuring knowing the stats. I was looking at maybe going down the work to residence route as an alternative but im unsure as to a few details like: it says to apply you must be either out of the country or in the country but unemployed. This confuses me as im in the country and I am employed but why would they require one to be unemployed to go for this? It also requests that the applicant needs to earn 55k a year but other websites say 45? Would this be a viable direction to go if the EOI doesn’t get selected?

Much love!

Alan

Alan599, if you'd care to give details of where you find your 110 points, and also, what exactly your qualification is, people may be able to help more. iainlclarke is quite right that, once you've got a skilled job offer, if you're suitably qualified for that job, your EOI will be immediately selected if you've actually got 100 points or more - it doesn't have to total 140 IF you have a job offer.

Also, moving away from considering the SMC route, is your employer an Accredited Employer?

Please give a link to where you found these things you're asking about. Without the context, it's hard to know what will or won't apply to you.
    it says to apply you must be either out of the country or in the country but unemployed.
    other websites say 45?

If you can get bonus points for work experience in NZ for at least 12 months you would have a much better chance. Selections are made from below 140 points for people with job offer or 12 months + work experience in NZ. Can you not get a Work Visa for 1 or 2 years and then go for residence? Wherabouts are you? Cheers. Karen