Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joiners wage for family of 3

Default Joiners wage for family of 3

Hi just wondering if any one could help?? I possibly my have a job offer with number 8 group in new Zealand christ church as a joiner.Ive been told that I will get £15 s hour which iv read is about 5.500 a month new Zealand dollars before tax ...is this right rate and cud my family live off a 75.000 wage that needs tax out too soo prob be about 45.000 a year :/ sounds so expensive to rent and food shop .
    Help please

$5,500/month equals $66,000 per year, not $75,000. Your after tax take home for $66,000 would be $53,180 or $4,431 a month.

$75,000 would give you $59,330 after tax or $4,944 a month.

Would you be the only one in your household working?

Ah thankyou ! My mrs wud try n get a job but with a little one too we got nursery fees, is it do able ?

Many New Zealand families are dual income.

Have a look at http://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs/salary...s-services.htm for average wages. to get a work visa your employer must be offreing you the right rate for the job. Do you know if they went through the new Canterbury Skills shortage hub? We found food prices higher in NZ than UK but you can save a lot if you don't mind growing your own veggies. Since the growing season is a lot longer, this can be a major saving. Rents in Christchurch are around $300 - $500 a week. Motoring is a lot cheaper - which helps!

You can also buy from markets or dairies, the veg is usually cheaper that way, supermarket veg and fruit is very dear.

Yes its doable. We are a family of four and we live reasonably well on less than that.

It's achieveable mate, where in Wigan are you from ? Food shopping is not a whole lot different, I struggle to understand why people keep saying it's more expensive !!

We moved here (Auckland) from Wigan 9 months ago, used to live at the back of The Brocket.

ah thankyou for your reply.sorry for the late reply on my behalf.we live in hindley nr the monaco.small word hey!my partner has been the brocket but im orginally from huddersfield.we abandoned the thought of moving but im know comtemplating it as the joinery industry here is dia at the mo n sick of being out of work. ive been offered a job at 4o hours for $26 a hour but thinking can we do it we havent much backup maybe a $1000 at most?

I wouldn't recommend it. (NB - to get 5500 per month at 15 per hour, you'd need to be working a 90 hour week!)

ChCh is very expensive currently.

Say your maths are right, and you have 4940 per month. Would be tight.

Accomodation for somewhere acceptable will be about 1940 of that, leaving 3K. Food - at least 900 a month if you only have one child and go to Pak N Save etc.

Power - 250 a month, Phone, say, 150 a month (mobiles, landline)

Car - fuel to get around, say, 250 a month if you just go around chch.

Clothes/Kids Stuff/Holidays - say 300 a month on average

WOF/REGO/Insurance etc - say 150 a month on average

That in theory leaves you $1000. But I've kept everything low (no iphones, no broadband, no sky tv, presumes you have capital to buy a car outright, presumes you have capital to furnish a house outright, presumes only one car, wife does nothing in the day, no entertainment, no savings etc. etc.).

In reality, your costs will be higher, and you'll have very little disposable income.

But on the other hand, life is an adventure, but I would point out that although I love ChCh, there's a lot here missing from the UK, and living here and existing - i.e. just getting enough to cover costs - would be less satisfying than in the UK, e.g. you have no live sport if you like football, pubs v expensive etc. etc. - more be a move if you like the outdoors, skiing, swimming, beach, tramping etc. (all the stuff for free in NZ)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast