Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Visa path should I choose?

Default Which Visa path should I choose?

Hi guys!

I've research on NZ for quite a while but I'm still a bit confused which path should I choose. Some info:

1) I have a Job offer in NZ(Finally). It is under the LTSS and future growth area
    2)The start Date is 2nd Week June 2013.
    3) I would like to get a residence status
    4)I am in a defacto relationship and we are migrating together

Give this time frame of 4 months , I need the relevent visa to work. Which option would be recommended

a) Apply Residence visa (SMC) and hope it gets approved in time. (Is that possible?)
    b) Apply for temporary work visa. Once I reach NZ then apply for skilled migrant category.
    c) Apply for both at the same time?

My eventual goal is to get residency and sooner is better then later.

Anyone can give a guesstimate on how long a temporary work visa is going to take?
    Thank you!

Hi. With a job offer, if all your paperwork is together and there are no medical or character issues for either of you and you can prove that your relationship has been in existence for 12 months or more (joint bank accounts, official letters to same address, maybe family photos) , INZ London are saying that they are usually able to turn round work visa applications in less than 3 weeks. However, if you have a job offer and 140+ points and meet all the other criteria, you might get your residence in time - but it would be a close thing! Gut feeling, get to NZ on your work visa and get a Partner Work Visa for your partner. Then, apply for your residence in a more leisurely manner. Good luck! Incidentally, no difference in EoI cost regardless of where you are, but actual SMC application costs £1200 if in UK but would only cost $1815NZ - $92 (for having had work visa) = $1723 = £883 approx. Cost of Work Visa: Essential Skills = £180 + £135 Work Visa: Partner of worker = total spent of £1198 - so no more than staying in UK and applying for SMC! Hope this helps. Good luck! Karen

nex, congratulations on the job offer, and very good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nex View Post
    Hi guys!

I've research on NZ for quite a while but I'm still a bit confused which path should I choose. Some info:

1) I have a Job offer in NZ(Finally). It is under the LTSS and future growth area
    2)The start Date is 2nd Week June 2013.
    3) I would like to get a residence status
    4)I am in a defacto relationship and we are migrating together

Give this time frame of 4 months , I need the relevent visa to work. Which option would be recommended

a) Apply Residence visa (SMC) and hope it gets approved in time. (Is that possible?)
    b) Apply for temporary work visa. Once I reach NZ then apply for skilled migrant category.
    c) Apply for both at the same time?

My eventual goal is to get residency and sooner is better then later.

Anyone can give a guesstimate on how long a temporary work visa is going to take?
    Thank you!
    Hi there, we applied under the SMC, with a job offer.
    See our timeline below. HTH.

Hi Nex!

We are going the path Karen Phillips is suggesting:
    My profession is on the LTSSL, I have a job offer and me and my partner want to travel for 3 months before touch down in New Zealand. So applying for PR was not an option for us just in view of time.

I am starting in July and we are applying for a work visa (work to residency stream) with my job offer.http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rktoresidence/

My partner is applying for the Partnership Visa, me sponsoring him.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

We are currently waiting for our results for the medical check as we are applying for a 3 year work visa. My offer of employment is for a permanent position and we are planning on applying for PR in New Zealand later on. See how we settle and how we like it

If you only apply for a 12 months Work Visa there is a great chance you won't need to pass a medical check/chest x-ray and therefor speed things up a bit All depending as to where you have previously lived.

The advantage of going with PR in place is, that you are not tight to the one job like on the Work Visa. As far as I know, you can apply for PR once you have spend 2 years in the country.

A work Visa involves less costs as well and seeing that relocating is a big financial commitment, it's no harm to have some time saving.

I would suggest the Work Visa is the faster option. I found getting all the paper work together took up most of the time so far (haven't logged Visa application yet)

Good luck with the decision making!

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. With a job offer, if all your paperwork is together and there are no medical or character issues for either of you and you can prove that your relationship has been in existence for 12 months or more (joint bank accounts, official letters to same address, maybe family photos) , INZ London are saying that they are usually able to turn round work visa applications in less than 3 weeks. However, if you have a job offer and 140+ points and meet all the other criteria, you might get your residence in time - but it would be a close thing! Gut feeling, get to NZ on your work visa and get a Partner Work Visa for your partner. Then, apply for your residence in a more leisurely manner. Good luck! Incidentally, no difference in EoI cost regardless of where you are, but actual SMC application costs £1200 if in UK but would only cost $1815NZ - $92 (for having had work visa) = $1723 = £883 approx. Cost of Work Visa: Essential Skills = £180 + £135 Work Visa: Partner of worker = total spent of £1198 - so no more than staying in UK and applying for SMC! Hope this helps. Good luck! Karen
    Last edited by Hanna MW; 16th February 2013 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks for the advice guys! Am really exciting about the job.

Just some clarification:

1) Is it possible to have concurrent application of work visa + SMC ? Does that mean I need to prepare 2 sets of everything (Xrays, medical records, Certificate of conduct etc )?

2) When applying for the work visa, do I submit the application for my fiancee at the same time under the family stream? Or do I need to wait for my visa to be approved before submitting hers?

Once again really appreciate all the help so far.

I can not make a statement to your first Question.
    But in regards to the second one, I was advised to sent mine and my partners paperwork together and to mention that in the cover letter so that one person is dealing with our stuff as one case.

We had to fill in the following forms:

Me (Work Visa Applicant):
    Work Visa INZ 1015
    Form for Partners supporting Partnership-Based Temporary Entry Applications INZ 1146
    Employer Supplementary Form INZ 1113 (your future employer in New Zealand needs to fill it in and send it to you)
    General Medical Certificate INZ 1007
    Chest X-Ray Certificate INZ 1096

Partner (sponsored):
    Partnership-Based Temporary Visa Application INZ 1198
    General Medical Certificate INZ 1007
    Chest X-Ray Certificate INZ 1096

Depending as to where you send in your application forms there is more forms to be filled in in regards to payment method.
    Overall I find Immigration New Zealand has a fantastic website. A lot of clicking but you get to everything you need eventually. There is a guide for each visa application type available online and they guide you through and explain exactly, what you need.

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by nex View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys! Am really exciting about the job.

Just some clarification:

1) Is it possible to have concurrent application of work visa + SMC ? Does that mean I need to prepare 2 sets of everything (Xrays, medical records, Certificate of conduct etc )?

2) When applying for the work visa, do I submit the application for my fiancee at the same time under the family stream? Or do I need to wait for my visa to be approved before submitting hers?

Once again really appreciate all the help so far.
    Last edited by Hanna MW; 16th February 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Forgetfullness

Pretty much my experience. Even with my medical being referred and an 11th hour request for additional documents I had my visa in 2 months--would've been more like 3 weeks otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Don View Post
    Hi there, we applied under the SMC, with a job offer.
    See our timeline below. HTH.

Yes, it's possible, and no, you don't have to give all the evidence twice over. If you state in a cover letter that INZ already has your evidence, and give them details of your other application, the CO dealing with the second case will liaise with the first.

Thank you guys! Really appreciate all the answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast