Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's expensive here!

Default It's expensive here!

That's all I have to say.

Compared to where? I live in Amerika, and for sure it's much more expensive than the Midwestern states. But I'm sure it's not that much more expensive than New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles.

Just my $0.03.

Plenty of things are cheaper than the UK e.g. motoring - particularly insurance. Once you get into the kiwi lifestle more, you can usually find ways to do things diffrently, buy differently, grow stuff or whatever, to make things cheaper. Books however remain very expensive. Thank goodness for eBooks. Karen

Quote Originally Posted by JagerLeaves View Post
    Your location says Ireland, so you had better get yourself to NZ.

I am sure you will find it cheaper.

Yes. I agree with you. It is. IMO, it's more expensive than Chicago and Los Angeles. When you first get here, it sucks. You're trying to make every dollar count and it seems impossible. It costs so much to move here and you think the vortex sucking your money away will end when you come here only to find it all so expensive. I completely empathise with your frustration.

There are ways to make it less expensive. Where are you located? Perhaps someone here can advise you on where to go to find cheaper stuff. Also, ask people you meet, "Where do you go to buy the cheapest vege?" "Who has the best deals on meat?" Browse the butchers, the vege shops, the supermarkets. I have an entire shopping routine that I do and now I only pay a little bit more than I did in the States without spending too much on petrol in the process.

Besides groceries, what else are you finding expensive? There are lots of little shops that have better deals than the big box stores or sales that come around. Perhaps we can help direct you towards the cheaper versions of what you need. However, if you need a good quality vaccuum at a decent price, forget it. You're dreamin' mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackswell View Post
    Just my $0.03.
    Is it three cents these days? That doesn't even keep up with inflation!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    Your location says Ireland, so you had better get yourself to NZ.

I am sure you will find it cheaper.
    If you look at JagerLeaves previous posts, you'll see this person just moved here. I don't understand this need to catch people out especially when they're reaching out because of their frustration.

As already discussed it other threads here. Most often this impression (experience) is due to the fact that one has not (yet?!) adapted to the NZ way of shopping. Just one example is the purchase of seasonal fruits and vegetables; and there are a loy mor. After you have changed (some of your) behaviour/attitude that was appropriate in the past to your new envirionment you wil quickly notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    After you have changed (some of your) behaviour/attitude that was appropriate in the past to your new envirionment you wil quickly notice the difference.
    I'm sure that's good advice and true for some people. But, if you're like me and already shopped like that in the nation you came from, you'll probably not find a huge difference. It's less about behaviour and attitude than it is about knowing where the cheaper stuff is to be found. For example, I'm a person who buys second hand everything. I always have. Second hand things here cost far more than they do where I come from. It is more expensive even for the frugally minded person. But, yes, there are ways to make it less so. Bartering and bargaining are common here. That can help reduce the cost of things.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    If you look at JagerLeaves previous posts, you'll see this person just moved here. I don't understand this need to catch people out especially when they're reaching out because of their frustration.
    Well said

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast