Thread: How does Leave entitlement work in NZ?

Default How does Leave entitlement work in NZ?

Just a quick question on leave matters.

I understand that most job contracts offer 4 weeks of leave. I also understand that many companies shutdown during christmas for 2 weeks.

The questions is:

1) does the 2 weeks shutdown during Xmas actually eats into your leave? Meaning does that mean I actually am being "forced" to use 2 out of my 4 weeks during Xmas?

2)When the contract says 4 weeks of leave. Does that typically means 20 working days? (EG: mon-fri x 4 weeks)?

Tahnks!

Hi there
    Here is a link to holiday entitilements http://www.dol.govt.nz/er/holidaysandleave/annualleave/ .

As far as being forced to take annual leave at xmas and eating into you holidays if your employer has an annual shut down at xmas time this would be covered in your employment contract and would state how you are to be paid.
    But to be honest most people I know try to take off two weeks over xmas whether they have holidays or not as it is the kiwi way to head to the beach, bach, camp whatever. Even companies that operate right through the holiday period tend to run on skeleton staff. Its true that the country pretty much shuts down over xmas and new year

Blair

here is a link covering regular annual shut downs http://www.dol.govt.nz/er/holidaysan...closedowns.asp

It's also helpful to know that there are 4 Statutory Holidays (Jan 2nd as well as the 1st) ovr the Christmas Period. Whether you have to take some of the other days as leave or not depends entirely on the employer. 20 working days = 4 weeks.

In the company I work for Annual leave is taken for 6 days of the shutdown, 4 days are covered by stat days. It is a standard holiday period and most people want this time off...no quibble about having to take it, in fact tho that can often take almost their full leave entitlement at this time of year, having 3-4 weeks off.

However certain functions within the company cannot take this time off, as there are standardized reporting deadlines to meet...so for some the max managed is an additional 3 days leave, and believe me there can be groans...kiwis go on holiday at Christmas!
    Last edited by Mamee & Co; 17th February 2013 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nex View Post

I understand that most job contracts offer 4 weeks of leave. I also understand that many companies shutdown during christmas for 2 weeks.

The questions is:

1) does the 2 weeks shutdown during Xmas actually eats into your leave? Meaning does that mean I actually am being "forced" to use 2 out of my 4 weeks during Xmas?

2)When the contract says 4 weeks of leave. Does that typically means 20 working days? (EG: mon-fri x 4 weeks)?

Tahnks!

Yes to both questions.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

The questions is:

In most cases you will be required to take leave IF your company shuts down over this period. Not everywhere does, but the majority do. And the amount of shutdown varies. In my first company - a small PR agency - the owners dictated the shutdown annually. The first year I had to take 2.5 weeks off, the second year I had to take 3.5 weeks (all minus the 4 days stat/public holidays)! I moved to a government agency which only shuts down between Xmas and NY, so I only had to take 3 days' leave (plus I took Xmas Eve off, so only used 4 days). In order to get the full two weeks off, you have to use 6 days, which still leaves you almost another 3 weeks to take at another time.

Some organisations may offer you the days in between Xmas and NY in your contract as special leave, over and above your statutory allowance.

Contracts usually specify the number of days, not weeks.

One thing I found quite odd in terms of terminology over here is that some contracts state that you are eligible for 20 days' leave after 12 months. This confused me as I thought it meant you didn't have any leave for the first year. In fact it doesn't. What it means is that you don't receive your full allowance for the first 12 months as you accrue leave throughout the year. It doesn't mean you don't have leave to take.

E.g. if you get 20 days' holiday a year, you accrue leave at approximately 1.6 days a month. You can still take this during your first year. My first boss wasn't very good at explaining this (or he didn't know!).
    Last edited by Manks; 18th February 2013 at 09:16 AM.