Thread: NZ Residant Visa holder consider domestic student in Australia?

Question NZ Residant Visa holder consider domestic student in Australia?

Hi,

Currently i am studying in Australia and mean while i got the resident visa of New Zealand, now i consider as a domestic student in Australia or still international student?

Extract from university of Auckland "They are for domestic students only (New Zealand and Australian citizens and permanent residents)", even in New Zealand if i hold a resident visa not considered as a domestic student?

if you are a NZ resident visa holder, then you will be counted as a domestic student in NZ only.
    Education Act 1989 Section 159 from www.legislation.govt.nz
    domestic student, at any time, means a person who is then—
    (a)a New Zealand citizen; or
    (b)the holder of a residence class visa granted under the Immigration Act 2009 who satisfies the criteria (if any) prescribed by regulations made under subsection (4); or
    (c)a person of a class or description of persons required by the Minister, by notice in the Gazette, to be treated as if they are not international students

Looking at various Australian sources - and it's what Australia says that counts, not what NZ law would be - it seems that getting NZ Residence won't make any difference to your situation, and they'll still count you as an international student. NZ and Australia have certain agreements which favour each other's nationals, but you're not closely enough linked with NZ (yet) to benefit.

Hi. Do be aware also that although you would be a doemstic student in NZ in would threfore only pay domestic fees, new rules in the last last couple of years mean that you are not elgible for a stduent loan for 2 years after gaining residence.

One possibility (not sure of your exact circumstances) is that you could take a semester out from your studies, get yourself to NZ and get established there. The Trans-Tasman agreement does allow NZ and Australian residents to study as domestic students in each other's countries, so you should be fine. It is also fairly easy to cross-credit studies in one country to the other under the same agreement. Just a thought! Karen

Can you please give a link to the part of the Trans-Tasman agreement you are referring to?

(If you click on anyone's username, one of the options available is to see their previous posts, so you can check back on what they have previously told the forum about their situation.)

Can't find it online at this minute. I worked in Higher Ed in NZ for 9 years as a senior academic, writer of new programmes and recruiter of students. In this role I regularly referred to the Trans Tasman agreement. I know that our Australian students were treated as domestic students in NZ and vice versa. I also know about the rules for new NZ residents and student loans from expereince as trhis cghnaged in 2011 and caused big problems fro some of my students. I have on many occasions done matches between Oz and NZ curriculum for credit transfer for students movng to NZ partway through a qualification. In most cirumstances (with a few exceptions) qualifications from one country are treated equally with that of the other, whether you are in Oz or NZ. This is all from working experience. We used the Trans Tasman agreement as the reference point. However, I confess to being unable in the short time I have available today been unable to find a specific link. Is there some part of what I said that you think is wrong? I might be able to get a definitive "proof" from elsewhere more easily? I have a good friend who is the expert on this stuff at my fomer place of employemtn and woudl be happy to ask her a specific question. Kind regards. Karen

I'm asking because all I've been able to find online on this issue are several different Australian universities' websites stating that only NZ citizens and permanent residents will be considered as domestic students, and in some places, only NZ citizens. I also know that it's not necessarily true that what is good for an Australian coming in NZ will also apply to a NZer going into Australia - there isn't equality of treatment in what the two governments do for each other's nationals and residents, permanent or not. Obviously the possibility still exists now of confusion between PR and Residence, because of the November 2010 renaming of visas by INZ, so I wanted to see an overview that would be up to date, and good for the whole of Australian tertiary education.