Thread: Schooling Options in Auckland for my 17 year old daughter

Default Schooling Options in Auckland for my 17 year old daughter

Hi,

Hoping someone over there might be able to help. We're hoping to move over from Ireland later this year, we have a 17 year old daughter who only starts 5th year here this September, so she still has two years of secondary left (If i'm right NZ year 12/13??). She turns 18 this November and is worried that she will be 'too old' for regular secondary school when we move. Are there any schools pre college types that offer the final two years - she really wants to go to college so we want to do everything we can to make sure this move gives her that. She had to repeat a year - after a hellish year of bullying we pulled her out of school, I home schooled her and she did her junior cert and got all honors, she is in transition year now to help her adjust back to school life - this is why she is older than the norm. Any help/advise greatly appreciated - this is probably the only major concern we have about moving.

High school - known as college here, would be the best place for her. NCEA is very flexible, she would be able to do a mix of level 2 and 3 subjects to match her abilities. Older students in college are not unusual here - I had a 21 year old in my class once. There are other post-school colleges and polytechnics but course choice can be very limited and inflexible. College is also the best place for her to get involved in extra-curricular activities.

NCEA is felixible but there are some schools which offer the cambridge international cirriculum, if she is particularly academic and may want to return to europe for uni. some
    places on north shore offer IB but that is 3yrs and dont think u can join part way through. as for the cambridge international mcleans college in east auckland offer it but all the others that do are private fee paying schools i think. oh actually 2 of my friends kidss are starting MIT (manukau technical institute) this yr one is doing a degeree but the other is only 15 and doing some sports course