Thread: Benefits for tax payers

Default Benefits for tax payers

Does the Government in NZ provide any special benefits for taxpayers? The facilities like roads, healthcare is used by all including those who live on jobless benefits but is there something other than these common facilities for taxpayers? I'm asking as I just found out that a big chunk of my salary will be going to tax if I get the job which I am after.

Quote Originally Posted by webmister View Post
    Does the Government in NZ provide any special benefits for taxpayers? The facilities like roads, healthcare is used by all including those who live on jobless benefits but is there something other than these common facilities for taxpayers?
    I'm not sure I entirely understand what you mean, but there is a family tax credit available for people working who have children.

Is that the kind of thing you mean?

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    I'm not sure I entirely understand what you mean, but there is a family tax credit available for people working who have children.

Is that the kind of thing you mean?

Daniela
    Yes I'm asking about these kind of benefits but I don't have children so is there anything else like that for taxpayers?

Yes I'm asking about these kind of benefits but I don't have children so is there anything else like that for taxpayers?
    But the 'benefits' you are getting are roads, ACC, infrastructure, everything government provided, I am not sure what else there could be?

Daniela

We all pay tax in one form or another i have never had benefits from tax as such in either UK or here in NZ....... tax is tax is tax

I'm asking as I just found out that a big chunk of my salary will be going to tax if I get the job which I am after.
    As for all developed countries, the motive for paying taxes is to ensure a 'security safety net' for everyone regardless how much or how little taxes one pays. In many different scenarios, this safety net can provide support for those that fall under tough times when say their high income jobs have come to an end or if they lose a high paying job due to illness, etc. One can not assume a person's ability to earn high income can last forever.

As Warren Buffet says, paying more taxes shouldn't be a discouragement for a person wanting to make $ to pursue into a business deal - and this applies to taking a higher paying job despite the marginal proportion of their take home pay decreases.

For wage and salary earners there are very few deductions allowed from tax paid. Top up type payments from the government are usually limited to those of low/medium incomes who have children.

Benefits are:
    Public funded health system (I..e you pay for GP but it is subsidised and all hospital emergency and medical test are free and prescription medicines are $3 ) if you are eligible.
    Social security : Work and income benefit if you loose your job and if you are eligible
    ACC: basically all your accident injuries including self inflicted injuries and loss of pay due to injuries is covered if you in NZ and accident happened in NZ.

A state which dishes out special benefits to people who pay taxes sounds like either some kind of paradise in one sense, or alternatively some kind of hell in another. Is there any country on earth like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    As for all developed countries, the motive for paying taxes is to ensure a 'security safety net' for everyone regardless how much or how little taxes one pays.
    Personally I pay tax primarily in order to comply with the law. (I don't own a car, but there are some public services I do benefit from.)

As Warren Buffet says, paying more taxes shouldn't be a discouragement for a person wanting to make $ to pursue into a business deal - and this applies to taking a higher paying job despite the marginal proportion of their take home pay decreases.
    Warren Buffett is the 3rd or 4th richest guy on the planet so he can afford to say such noble things, and to me his views don't make sense. In reality I suspect a significant number of people who find themselves below the next income tax threshold don't feel as driven to do what it takes to increase their income as they would if that threshold weren't hanging over them.

I'm watching France especially with interest, given their recent increase of the top rate of income tax to 75% on people earning more than a million a year. An extreme case nonetheless but it should make for a useful reference case either way.

Does the Government in NZ provide any special benefits for taxpayers? The facilities like roads, healthcare is used by all including those who live on jobless benefits but is there something other than these common facilities for taxpayers? I'm asking as I just found out that a big chunk of my salary will be going to tax if I get the job which I am after.
    0800 227 774

The IRD's phone number, its free even!

I am sure someone would be happy to answer your question.