Thread: Not all of the application members activate resident visa

Default Not all of the application members activate resident visa

Hello everybody,
    well to cut the long story short.....
    We are family of three : me, my wife and baby.
    I am the main applicant and we have been approved for residency. The problem is that immigration process took so long time to complete(almost two years), so many things have changed (we got baby, wife got a better job).
    I still want to go to NZ, but my wife is now reluctant. I am thinking of going there alone.
    My question is: if I as the main applicant activate my visa, while my baby and wife do not, would I be approved for PR if I show commitment to NZ during the next two years?

Thanks in advance.

As you are the main applicant, there would be no problem with the formalities. (A secondary applicant would have more difficulty, and might not be able to do it.) You understand, if your wife and baby's visas are not activated, they would lose their Residence. But if they make a short trip so the visas are activated, even if they then leave NZ again and don't live there as a regular thing, they would still be entitled to PR later on, if YOU fulfil the requirements for it. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45650.htm

Hi JandM,
    that is a great thing!!! I had never been aware of it. So just let me confirm, if they activate visa and go back, while I show commitment to NZ and get my PR, they would also get it? Are you aware of any hidden rules or conditions?

Thank you very much!

You've understood it correctly.

All that old thread, which you found afterwards and then linked to, is quoting the then-current version of the operational manual. The link I gave you, in post #2 above, takes you to the present version. But as you see, the same rules are still in force.