Thread: Residence -> Permanent Residence

Default Residence -> Permanent Residence

Hi guys,

I understand that once I get a residence visa, after 2 years I am able to apply for a Permanent Residence (baring the conditions are met. See here for info if interested: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nts/nextsteps/)

I understand that Permanent Residence doesn't have an expiry date but I also read under certain circumstances they may be revoked (eg: If you have been away too long).

I would like to advice on how "permanent" is the permanent residence? If after the permanent residence was granted, and I were to depart from NZ for say 10-15 years, would my PR be revoked? I guess I'm trying to understand how strictly do they enforce this?

Thank you!

I understand that Permanent Residence doesn't have an expiry date but I also read under certain circumstances they may be revoked (eg: If you have been away too long).
    You read this where?

Permanent Residence does not expire. As NZ law stands at the moment, it is permanent, for law-abiding people *. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30943.htm There are rumours from time to time that this may be changed, so that the situation you imagine could become true, but so far it hasn't happened.

*PR, like other NZ visas, can be revoked if someone commits a serious crime, or if they are found to have given false evidence in order to get the visa in the first place.

*If you stayed out of NZ for the length of time you suggest, your home country passport would have to be renewed at least once, and at that point, you would have to be careful to get your PR visa put into the new passport. You can't use a visa that only appears in an old, expired passport.

I agree with JandM. I have'nt found any reference to expiry of Permanent Residence.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by shawankit View Post
    I agree with JandM. I have'nt found any reference to expiry of Permanent Residence.
    Yes but as JandM says, this is correct at this point in time. Immigration policies and laws always have the potential to change, so it pays to keep on top of things.

If any changes happen, would they be applied to people who already have PRs or to people who are about to get PRs?
    That is, would this law change be retrospective?

Since this is entirely hypothetical, nobody can tell you.

Whenever anybody discusses immigration (to any country), I think there is always an element of fear among those who are doing it, that their situation is not assured, in some way or other, and the rumours that go round about PR one day not being permanent are part of that insecurity. Also, friends and family that would rather the migrants didn't go often tend to feed the rumours. But they are NOT FACT.

The NZ government has not made any statement that they intend to make a change in the law. If they DID make a change in the law, that change would and could be, presumably, whatever they wanted it to be at the time, decided by the then MPs and what they voted through. Considering MPs are elected representatives, they would have to bear in mind the opinions of their constituents, including the immigrants among them. Any discussion of what could happen is bound to be full of 'if', 'they might', and 'maybe'. For now, regardless of the scare-mongering rumours, PR is permanent.