Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entering from a visitor visa-waiver country, intending to apply for visa while in NZ

Default Entering from a visitor visa-waiver country, intending to apply for visa while in NZ

Hi all!

I'm the one who's having a baby in 16 days. . .and arriving in Chch in 41 days. Because there will be time to secure my newborn's passport, but NOT her visa before we leave the States, I plan to arrive in NZ with a flight that takes me and the babe out of the country within 3 months of our arrival. . .in case her visa is not approved.

INZ confirms that I can do this.

Here is my question: does my flight have to be a return to the USA? I'm asking because it seems pretty certain that my newborn *will* receive a visitor visa. Her dad is already there on an essential skills visa. I have a visitor visa. Her older siblings have visas.

So, it seems likely that she'll get a visa, and that we will not be using this flight. It's a LOT cheaper to buy a flight to Australia than back to Chicago.

Advice?

It has to be an onward flight to a country where the person has the right to go. So, either back to their own country, or to another country where they have right of entry. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...isit/visitors/

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It has to be an onward flight to a country where the person has the right to go. So, either back to their own country, or to another country where they have right of entry. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...isit/visitors/
    Thanks JandM. I *do* have the right to go to Australia, so we'll book that!

But would she?

She wouldn't. . .and as it turns out, neither do I at this point. Some time somewhat recently, Australia started requiring visas of all American visitors.

I'm glad I was being so thorough! We would run into the same problem with Australia: can't get a visa in time to board the flight.

I found a list of 161 countries Americans can visit legally without visas, and it looks like I'll be buying us tickets to Fiji instead. Americans don't need visas to visit Fiji.

Bonus: if she doesn't get her NZ visa by June, I'm going to Fiji!

My bet is that her visa will come through in no time - it's an easy-peasy minimum checks required one, so someone will dash it off in the half-hour before home time one day. Shame about Fiji...

Our immigration office didn't bat an eye over the Fiji ticket; didn't even ask to see it!

Thanks, all, for your thoughts. Here we are!

hey there! How're you and the baby?????

You made it! Glad all is well.

Congratulations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast