Thread: Numbers in the EOI pool after the 20 Feb Draw

Default Numbers in the EOI pool after the 20 Feb Draw

After todays draw

http://formshelp.immigration.govt.nz...et20130220.pdf

(which again only saw applicants over 140 points or those with 100 to 140 with job offer selected) there are 681 applications remaining in the pool. That is one of the lowest numbers since the first half of 2001.

Not sure if anything definitely can be inferred from that, but unscientifically it feels like a reasonably good time to be applying. Having looked at the pool numbers over the last few years, it doesn't just look like a seasonal blip. But assuming that the majority of successful people in this fortnight's draw were "new' applicants, it does suggest a significant number of EOIs lapsed in the last 2 weeks. Or it could be a typo

Of course, INZ may be happy to invite less people to apply over the next few draws if they feel they can make up the numbers later on.

Others who've been watching this for longer than me may have a view?

But... 'making up the numbers'. The target number that they're supposed to select varies, doesn't it? I seem to remember a big article being linked to last year, saying that, although it hadn't been publicized, NZ were deliberately taking in fewer skilled migrants at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    But... 'making up the numbers'. The target number that they're supposed to select varies, doesn't it? I seem to remember a big article being linked to last year, saying that, although it hadn't been publicized, NZ were deliberately taking in fewer skilled migrants at that time.
    Something certainly happened to the numbers during 2009. At the beginning each draw was selecting EOIs that covered about 1700-1800 people (people not EOIs). In the last draw or 2009 this dropped to 1191 and has hovered around the 1100-1250 mark since (except for one spike in on Oct 3 2012 when 1674 people from 759 EOIs were selected). I think there is now an overall annual target that they aim for (25,000 - 29,500 under SMC?), but without quotas for individual draws - plus a three year rolling target of around 135000 - 150000 across ALL residence categories. Only around 20,000 were approved via the SMC route in year 1 of this new three year rolling target to June 30th 2012, putting them behind.

What was a bit more interesting for me was the drop in numbers in the pool after the Feb 20 draw, does that indicate a drop in the demand side? It is only one draw, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the first March draw. Just wondering if some potential applicants from the UK are being put off by the exchange rate, for example?
    Last edited by RedVee; 21st February 2013 at 06:43 AM.