Thread: Qualifications & experience advice needed

Default Qualifications & experience advice needed

Hi Guys

I'm an analyst programmer based in the U.K.
    My highest qualification (to my shame) is an HNC in Computer Studies.

That being said, I do have 20+ years experience in software development:

15+ years experience in AS400 RPG and 6 years of C#.Net.

Would this experience, mixed with my low-level qualification, be enough to enable to me to work and live in NZ were a job offer to be forthcoming?

Steve

Smile

software engineers from your era tend not to be degree qualified, Play to your strengths tell the employers this, and brag about the amount of exsperience you have. (a little earlier but 80s software,, one of the few subjects and times uk academia actualy lagged mainstream industry in my memory, not that I'm old enough to speak from exsperience,,,, I wish)

Mr Jones my gues is bragging won't come as easily to you as it will to many of the global engineers who apply to NZ, reserved wont work, but long engineerng CVs are read over and over before interviews are issued. so break that two page cv idea,, and don't be shy,,, you've been a software engineer long enough and in a fierce market, you must be bloody good at it by now :-) ....

just to put you in the frame, your competition will have a degree, will probably have written a poor ebook (but call themselves a published author and expert in the field of some abstract rubbish) and manage to write software that they don't understand by googling and asking questions on engineering forums,,, you know those questions you probably answered in your lunch break lol.... why do that !!!!

bob

I know lots of developer, systems administrator, DBA's having successful career in Auckland, and they have self studied and then moved into IT after 10 to 15 years of experience in other fields . So I think you are better placed compared to them to find a job in NZ.

PS: Most NZ organisation will go for written tests for hiring developers, so I would suggest start reading books and practising for written tests.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_the_engineer;

Mr Jones my guess is bragging won't come as easily to you as it will to many of the global engineers who apply to NZ, true...

[COLOR=#333333
    you must be bloody good at it by now : Id like to think so...(lol)
    [/COLOR]

bob
    Bob,
    Thanks for the good wishes and advice.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by shawankit View Post
    Most NZ organisation will go for written tests for hiring developers, so I would suggest start reading books and practising for written tests.
    Good point.
    I'll do this and make sure I'm fully prepared.
    Steve
    Last edited by Stephen Jones; 24th February 2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: typo