Thread: PAR Assessment with NZQA

Default PAR Assessment with NZQA

Hi

I am about to submit a PAR Assessment application to NZQA for my Masters in Town and Regional Planning that I obtained in South Africa. Do I need to submit one PAR for both the Bachelors and the Masters or separate applications ie one for the Bachelors that I needed to do to go on to the Masters, and one for the Masters? The Bachelors is a Bachelors of Social Science and the Masters in Town and Regional Planning was a 2 year postgraduate degree which included Honours and Masters in the 2 years.

Hey Nyoni

INZ will assess your education qualification based on IQA assessment of NZQA and not on PAR. So if you haven't paid or applied for PAR, please don't go ahead with it. Its a total waste of time and money. {Please do IQA instead of PAR}

Thanks Zednic20 for the tip.

The reason I am doing a PAR is because I need to verify that my Masters is comparable with the required degree on the Long Term Skills Shortage List before I go the EOI route.My degrees show that they are exempt from assessment on the immigration site(Appendix 3 - List of qualifications exempt from assessment: 'http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45795.htm') but in order to complete the EOI with the bonus points for being on the Long Term Shortage Skills List then I need to verify that my degree is comparable with the NZ degree.

The Long Term Skill Shortage List Requirements for an 'Urban and regional planner(232611)' is a 'Bachelors degree (or higher) in environmental or resource planning'. In South Africa I am an Urban and Regional Planner(registered with the South African Council of Planners) with 10 years experience but the problem lies in the fact that my qualifications are termed differently ie I have a Masters of Town and Regional Planning versus the required 'Bachelors degree (or higher) in environmental or resource planning'. I need to determine whether the qualifications I have are the same as what the LTSSL requires before I submit an EOI. If my qualifications are not the same then I wont submit the EOI but will rather go the 'Work to Residence' route as I have both a Masters of Town and Regional Planning and a Masters in Economics which both are listed on the Skilled Migrant list which allow me to apply for a Work to Residence permit.

Any advice welcome!

I think your degree name should match with NZQA degree name. Lets other too comments on this point. If it doesn't match then INZ will tell you to do IQA assessment.

I think its better to do IQA if you have any confusion over your education. PAR assessment and IQA assessment may varies because in IQA you send your degree certificates to NZQA for assessment and in PAR you just mention you course name and duration and based on that they do the assessment so result of PAR and IQA varies most of the times.