Thread: Ridiculously simple questions.

Default Ridiculously simple questions.

OK I have some embarrassingly simple questions about filling out an visa app (based on partnership) -

(1) Why does NZ Imm offer "email for hard copy of application?" Just if someone didn't have access to a printer? The normal procedure is just to print it out and fill it out by hand, right?

(2) Do photocopies of birth certificates and marriage certificates need to be notarized or anything official?

(3) Does everything absolutely have to be submitted all at once (application, medical & police certificates)? Or, if there is a delay waiting for the medical or police certificates, can I lodge the app and then send those as soon as possible? Or if my partner will already be in NZ, so I will have a delay getting stuff I need from him.
    Ex: the medical certificate must be less than 3 months old, so what if it is going to run out before the police check comes through? (Since I have heard some people had quite a wait getting theirs.) This is one example, but I can think of quite a few other possible reasons for delay.

(4) Are there any parts of the application/supporting materials that need to be sealed? (Like, medical or police checks?)

...more later...

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    OK I have some embarrassingly simple questions about filling out an visa app (based on partnership) -

(1) Why does NZ Imm offer "email for hard copy of application?" Just if someone didn't have access to a printer? The normal procedure is just to print it out and fill it out by hand, right?

(2) Do photocopies of birth certificates and marriage certificates need to be notarized or anything official? Anything official needs to be notarized if it is a copy - birth certs, marriage certs, passport copies, etc

(3) Does everything absolutely have to be submitted all at once (application, medical & police certificates)? Or, if there is a delay waiting for the medical or police certificates, can I lodge the app and then send those as soon as possible? Or if my partner will already be in NZ, so I will have a delay getting stuff I need from him.
    Ex: the medical certificate must be less than 3 months old, so what if it is going to run out before the police check comes through? (Since I have heard some people had quite a wait getting theirs.) This is one example, but I can think of quite a few other possible reasons for delay. We had to send off for new police certificates when I first applied for residency through partnership (my police certs were still valid - they keep the applicants on file for quite some time once they get them, but my partner's needed to be less than 6 months and as you said many countries take longer than others). We were told they will keep processing as long as we have submitted proof that these have been sent for (we sent copies of the applications for each country and the tracking information when the applications were sent off and communication we've had with various embassy officers) and once each item is received they will keep continuing with processing. But to submit you need to show proof that all of these are in progress otherwise they will send the application back to you and reason for returning will be "failed lodgements". So with the application just make sure to send proof that all of these are in process, especially in case of police certificates because if you wait for all of them to come back, some may expire.

(4) Are there any parts of the application/supporting materials that need to be sealed? (Like, medical or police checks?) Not that I'm aware of as long as they are originals/notarized.

...more later...
    Some of my answers are in blue. I applied for a few different visas based on partnership (visitor and on a work visa at the moment) and am currently in the process of my residency application based on partnership. Which partnership visa are you applying for?

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Some of my answers are in blue. I applied for a few different visas based on partnership (visitor and on a work visa at the moment) and am currently in the process of my residency application based on partnership. Which partnership visa are you applying for?
    Work visa based on partnership, and presumably, residence down the line.

Thanks for the info!

Another simple question: I've heard about these lovely-sounding flexible return tickets, where you can fly into a country and then leave your departure date open, but I've never actually encountered them myself. Do airlines still do these?? Or is it another one of those things I missed in the good old days?

I live in NZ for 8 months of the year, but return to the U.S. twice a year (though I am a Kiwi, I have family in the U.S). I buy an economy round trip ticket in the U.S with a set return date. If I need to change the return date, I can pay an additional $150 to change it but it has to be used within 365 days.